1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tascam 1800 USB interface for my home studio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Unregistered, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I need to buy a new interface for my home studio- Normaly things get done one track at a time. but at times a multi track jam would be very helpful. Amazon has two very bad reveiws on this piece of gear. But, they sound like the engineers aren't really pros. Not one of them mentioned Pro tools 9 or how well this works with that platform. I would like to know if anyone has this or has used this with protools 9... Is this thing solid and dependable? Do the current drivers work? Can they be slaved together get 28 channels? 14 channels under $300. Hummmm...... to good to be true? or what? my email - carlbcom@msn.com

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The last I heard the cheap Tascam gear that passes for interfaces was not usable by ProTools due to how the buffer settings are reported by the Tascam ASIO driver to the DAW program. This may have changed while I was incognito over the summer months but I doubt it. Tascam is not known for stellar support of their introductory gear.

3. Carlb

Carlb Active Member

I had a feeling it wouldn't work .... thank you

4. Carlb

Carlb Active Member

As I read further into this the 1800 is not a good choice. How much $$$ to get the right interface that will alow 12-14 channels to record seamlessly at one time?

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Do you need a mixer type interface with inbuilt preamps? That would be something like the Presonis Studio Live. If you already have preamps then something like the RME Fireface or similar. $400 just isn't going to cut it for that channel count.

6. x_25

x_25 Active Member

I have been using a US1641 (predisesor to the US1800) for two years now. I don't know about compatability with protools, though you could always record in cubase and dump the files in protools later. The only problem is the drivers from tascam are crap, install ASIO4ALL and you are golden though. 14 channels at 24/96 on my laptop with no issues (apart from my laptop being too slow for post production once I add eq and all that)