1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tascam 38

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by frosty55, Jan 26, 2014.

1. frosty55

frosty55 Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Whats peoples views on the Tascam 38?
    I already have a Teac 80-8 and lately Ive been in touch with someone who wants rid of a 38. Is there much of a difference between the two machines?
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    perhaps the 80 is slightly better machine. the electronics on it are all discreet while the electronics on a 38 are more integrated electronics.

neither machine is a really professional machine. the minus 10 ins-an-outs are a tell and while 8 tracks on 1/2" is better than 1/4" its still considered a narrow track format. wow & flutter on these machines is tolerable at best s/n is down a few dB from a real 1" machine and the frequency response is rated a +/- 3 dB while a 1" machine will be rated a - 3 dB at worse. the result is a machine that usually requires noise reduction which DOUBLES freq response errors resulting in freq response errors as much as 12 dB. to boot you can't really saturate the tape with a narrow format machine like you can with a full track machine.

all that said i have produced recordings i am still proud of on 1/2" 8 and even 1/2" 16 machines.