1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tascam analog to digital audio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Will Scott, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Will Scott

Will Scott Guest

Greetings. I'm new to the list, but please tolerate a couple basics questions. . .

I do my home recording on a Tascam Porta 07 (yeah, a few years old). Its worked fine for my home songwriting, etc. and I've relied on professional studios for higher quality recording of my CDs and the like.

Recently, however, I made a home recording tape for some of my friends (and to help put $ together for my next CD project). That tape has gotten around and generated some interest from a few industry folks who want copies of some songs from the tape, on CD.

My problem is figuring out the best way to get it from the analog master (or 4-track) to CD, quickly, effectively, and cheaply. Do I just need to plug into someones soundcard? Does the signal need to be amplified. Will I need specific software to do this? What is the overall process?

I realize that these questions are likely tedious and simple. But, if someone has time to post some basic answers (or send them to my personal e-mail) or direct me to a good site, it would be a big help. I've not found the basic information easy to locate on the web.

Humbly and with many advanced thanks,

Will

2. subspace

subspace Guest

This probably isn't the answer your looking for, but how about calling a local studio and asking them if they could record the output of your 4-track to digital and burn you a reference CD? It probably would be the cheapest method and give the best results. HTH

3. algorhythm

algorhythm Guest

You've got a multitude of options as far as sound cards go...try to pick up something of good audio quality. Check out the Dakota or WaveCenter card, or the MidiMan stuff....for a decent quality 2 or 4 in card, there are so many choices it's hard to say where to start.

If you're using the 2 track masters (saves the trouble of remixing the 4 tracks), something like Sound Forge or Wavelab would do the trick.