1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tascam Reel to Reel Gear

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by djmukilteo, Aug 9, 2009.

1. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to do with a couple of reel to reel tape decks and a patch bay I have.

Tascam 32 - 2 track
    Tascam 38 - 8 track w/remote
    Tascam PB-32P patch bay

Since I've gone to all digital these beasts sit quietly like beautiful antiques from a time gone past.
    I was wondering if anyone here still uses RtoR and more importantly...should I bother trying to re-incorporate these into a digital setup?
    They sit there beckoning.......use us...we want to record too....
    Maybe someone out there has had a similar experience?

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Are they in good condition? Aligned properly? Do you have incredibly good outboard for drums and guitars?

I used a 38 until a couple of years ago as an option for capturing drum tracks and things I wanted that bit of natural compression that tape gives. I did not use them to mix from. Generally I would drop the recorded tracks into the digital recorder as soon as the tracks were captured to reduce any lossy problems relating to number of passes over the heads and such. I know these units arent on the level with Studer, Ampex, Otari and such, but they do sound quite good for this kind of recording and can enhance an otherwise basic sounding digital capture.

If they are in good condition and arent taking up too much room and you arent needing to get rid of them I would keep em.

After I move, and I get a chance to reconfigure the studio, I will entertain the purchase of a tape machine for just this feature.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Do you still have these, Don?