1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tech support poll: Heroes and Villains

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by RandomGuest, Feb 17, 2002.

1. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    How about we start a list of our most and least favorite manufacturer's tech support?

I'll start by nominating Glyph in the hero department. Seems they will do almost anything to keep you up and running.

I've also had very pleasant interactions with Waves, TC, ATI, and Millennia.

Less success with some of the mega-corporations like Sony, Panasonic, and Yamaha. Sometimes that is just a matter of trying to find a tech there that speaks english!

It seems like many pro-audio manufacturers pride themselves on their level of tech support. It seems far better and more effective than their counterparts in the musical instrument industry. Try getting support on a just about any synth/keyboard these days!

But the worst are often the computer-related companies (Glyph obviously excepted). Apple won't give you the time of day without buying a service contract. Software companies like Norton Utilities charge by the minute. A half hour call can wipe you out! And if you have an older (out of warranty) Hewlitt Packard device - good luck!!!

Of course, a lot of companies make products that I own that have never required tech support. Maybe they're the true heroes!
  2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    Cool idea,

Make it best tech support for 2001. Putting companies that get very little use from the pro audio sector maybe not.

What does everyone else think?
  3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Roger Robindore at Apogee tech is a very cool dude!
    Dan Muchmore at Digidesign UK is also v kind.

Villans... Hmm all I can think of is A+ Hosting who scare me often saying my credit card has been refused for my website!
  4. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Allen and Heath have been great in helping me out with my 15 year old board (thanks, Mike), which is pretty unusual, in my experience. (Also, they added a section to their website with info on their old products, and though sometimes incomplete, it's still cool.)

I try to avoid the bad ones by straight out avoiding dodgy products.

5. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Bloomington, IL
  6. sprouseod

sprouseod Guest

7. osmuir

osmuir Guest

greg @ pendulum has been more than great on a few occations [made me a custom transformer for ribbons/sent menew input tubes pronto/"over fixed" my mdp1 when it just blew a fuse--"new output tubes" no charge, just to make sure].

royer--helpful and informative.

and mercenary audio is all it's cracked up to be. the level of dedication to customer service is a thing of beauty.
  8. Best: Waves US and Cranesong (David Hill, the president, answered the phone himself) :td:

Allen :w:
  9. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
  10. Rob Cathcart

Rob Cathcart Guest

Frontier Design. Helped me thru some troubles that weren't even their product's problem.

Viewsonic. Trouble with a flat screen monitor. Sent it back, new one provided, no questions asked.

11. Mongoose

Mongoose Guest

The guys at Izotope (of Ozone fame) email back within the same day of any queries.. Very helpful guys.

12. mwagener

mwagener Active Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    heroes :D
    Little Labs (PCP)
    John Hardy (M-1)
    TC (M6000)
    SONY (DMX R100)
    Euphonix (R-1)

villains :mad:
    COMCAST (ex @home)
    Panasonic (SV 3700)
  13. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    mwagener's experiences mirror my own, as far as what types of companies tend to have the best and worst support.

I'm just remembering now a definite :td: for Barbetta Keyboard Amps. They're lightweight and sound great, but are built like $*^t - and getting satisfaction from their tech support is an ordeal.
  14. beauarts

beauarts Active Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Home Page:
    I vote for ElectroVoice. I bought a EV PL20 on ebay that was kind of beat up. Turned out the capsule was messed up too. EV has a lifetime warranty. I sent it in and for $36, I got a new capsule(now a RE20) and new grill and body, practically a new mic altogether..
  15. ironsheik

ironsheik Guest

Rane helped me out big on on a used 10 year old beatup HC6 headphone amp by sending me new pots and an opamp free of charge. Really cool guys.

Josh C
  16. Heroes:
    Greg at Pendulum
    Manley- had a channel go funny on a dual mono. sent it in, back in 4 days, free new input transformer, burnt in 8 hours and then listened to. I like that. 5 year warranty.
    RME has been good to deal with.
    Kawai America has great tech support!
    Equi=tech was very cool too.

Motu (gave up on them, returned product)
    Yamaha(swore I'd never own another)

Thinking positive thoughts 'cause I need their help:
    Apple :eek:

18. silver

silver Guest

Waves has definately become one of my heros!

19. Irene

Irene Guest

Heroes: Sony UK, Apogee
    Villains in my experience are more likely to be dealers rather than manufacturers!!! :)
  20. weezy christ

weezy christ Guest

SADiE's US office in Nashville....literally bent over backwards for me! wow!