1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

telephone message recordings for businesses

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Nelson, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Nelson

Nelson Guest

I'm currently using Cool Pro 2.0 (the newest version) for recording voice overs for radio and television (I work in radio). Business is good. I was asked recently to record on-hold messages for business telephone systems. The specs they requested were these: Dialogic vox...4 bit...6Khz. Honestly, I'm used to high quality audio. This sounds like crap when I play it back. Has anyone discovered a way to get this kind of audio to sound half way decent?
  2. TheSoundman

TheSoundman Active Member

Dec 16, 2002
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Home Page:
    Have you ever had somebody play you a song over the phone? Regardless of what it sounds like going in, it's going to sound like a phone on the other end..
  3. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2001
    :s: Yea the bandwidth of the phone really sucks, it is a great gig though, we did them in the early 80's for digital warning systems on planes, you know, "pull up ...pull up...". The analog sound was recorded onto some primative digital recorder, then burned to EPROM. It was tough working around the limitations.
  4. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Thanks for the advice guys. I know what you mean about what it sounds like on the other end of the phone anyway. What I'm trying to avoid is further degradation of the audio. I'm sending the company 6khz audio that they'll be able to drag & drop into place, without them having to record natural sounding audio into their system. I'm tired...am I making sense?
  5. byacey

byacey Active Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I have done live broadcasts over a standard phone line, and the bandwidth is better than you might imagine, but the sound quality is degraded by the actual telephone sets audio quality.
    Bill Y.