Tell me......

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by audiowkstation, Oct 6, 2002.

1. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

How in the hell "Wingspan" got mastered by this moronic being?

What gives.....

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

who is wingspan and who mastered it?

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

"Paul McCartney and Wings" anthology. It's Pauls way of putting "Wings" to bed after the passing of his dear wife and musical companion Linda...too bad it sounds like dog flop. He should have let Geoff Emerick master it....or Bill. (damnit!, why did George Martin have to go deaf?)

4. joe lambert

joe lambert Distinguished Member

Who mastered it?

5. audiowkstation

Peter Mew and Geoff Emerick.
    Namely Peter Mew.

His ears are gone, or his monitors simply have so much bass that the entire works sound anything but that of the albums.

6. Rader Ranch

Rader Ranch Member

according to AMG, who often screw up, it was Geoff Emerick!

maybe some of that early stuff was so bad it couldn't be saved? or has it received the hyper-limiting treatment?

7. Kurt Foster

Maybe the duplicator messed it up. "It could happen"….Fats

8. audiowkstation

9. audiowkstation

It sounds like it was a post RIAA encoded transfer. No Bass, No one heard this?

Please please.......it is ugly sounding.

Someone needs to redo it.

Off the albums and using dartpro is superior to the disc.

10. Kurt Foster

Well you've really peaked my interest now. I going to have to waddle down to the Wall Mart tomorrow and pick up my very own copy. I haven't bought one because I've already got everything Wins did, a lot on vinyl as well as CeeDee. Can't wait to hear how bad it is....It's a sick world we are living in.....Fats

11. Michael Fossenkemper

Me too, I'm going to go buy it. I once assisted for Geoff and he was deaf then. I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better since. I had the same reaction to the led zepplin box set that was remastered by jimmy page, or so it said.

12. Kurt Foster

When I got my Tannoy DMT 12's the first thing I grabed to listen to was Led Zep's 1st album....on ceedee, bummer! Sounds like s**t! I always wondered about E.K after that, I still like the album for its content, but it sounds like s**t....Fats :w:

13. joe lambert

joe lambert Distinguished Member

I think the whole ZEP catalog was remastered by George Marino a few years back. I have most of them and the sound is excellent.

14. Michael Fossenkemper

I like George Marino, he's mastered many mixes that i've done. But I know that when i'm working with someone who originally did the music and we are reworking it, they always want the high end pushed more. Of coarse the older they are, the more they want it pushed. But what about everyone who's used to hearing it a certain way and expects something similar? Just took my by shock at first, but the more i listen to it, the more it grows on me. Maybe I'm just forgetting what it sounded like way back when.

15. Doug Milton

Doug Milton Active Member

It's everywhere. I recently saw the live Sting DVD. Every time the snare was hit, I could hear the compressor clamp down. Don't labels and artist listen to proofs before manufacturing anymore…?