1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tempo Note Changing confusion

Discussion in 'Recording' started by singeryadig, Jun 14, 2011.

1. singeryadig

singeryadig Active Member

Up where you can change the tempo--you can also change the notes from, Whole note, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and then a "dotted" option. The click track goes slower when its set lower than 1/4--and anything above 1/4, it clicks faster. I think 1/4 is the default selection but if anyone can tell me what these note changes are doing/ or their purpose that'd be great, thanks

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

You don't say which music package you are using, so it's a bit difficult to answer your question. The whole/half/quarter/eighth note etc nomenclature is American English for what breve, semibreve, crotchet, quaver etc are in real money. When you change the time value of a note, you change the fraction of a bar that note lasts for.

It's not easy to give you much more information without going further into music theory. Tell us a little more about what you are working with and what you are trying to achieve and we may be able to help further.

3. singeryadig

singeryadig Active Member

I'm learning how to make beats--and the using the click track with each bar to make it easier. I'm in Pro Tools 8 LE, and up where you edit your tempo, on the transport--you have those options of different note changes and they each do different things to the click track. I thought at 1st that that was just an option to tell the click track when to 'click', because when its set to 1/4--it clicks 4 times per bar but thats not it because when its on the whole note for example it clicks really fast--so im not really sure what the purpose of those options are