1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Terrible mix translation...beginner monitors?

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by ShutDownProductions, Mar 27, 2007.

1. I have been mixing on a decent Logitech 2.1 system. I know, I know that is not real practical, so I have decided to get a decent set of entry level studio monitors. I am only on a $300 dollar budget so my choices are very limited. Also, I do not have any local music shops so I cannot go demo speakers so I am really relying on online reviews and forums. After quite a bit of research I have narrowed it down to a few sets that fit the budget on musicians friend....

M-Audio BX5a 70 Watt Active Studio Monitors $300
    Alesis Monitor 1 Active MKII Powered Monitors $300
    Fostex PM-1 MKII Active Nearfield Studio Monitors $300
    TASCAM VL-X5 Bi-Amped Studio Monitors $300
    Event Tuned Reference TR5 Active Monitors $300

I know that anyone of these is probably significantly better than my current setup, but hopefully a you guys can steer me in the right direction to get the most bang for the buck.

I am mostly mixing rap music so I understand that in the future I would probably have to get a sub to accommodate these speakers to give me an idea what is happening in the low end. You can check out some of our tracks at

My main concern for new monitors is the problem I have translating my mixes to other systems. Thanks for your time.

2. freesignal

freesignal Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    (Dead Link Removed)
  3. multoc

multoc Active Member

Jun 18, 2005
    your mixes dont sound that shitty.....just turn your vocals up and bring some of that 60-80Hz down a hair
  4. oh, so they only sound pretty shitty? haha nah, I just feel that I have hit a road block with my mixes and a better set of monitors might help me improve and really hear whats going on. I appreciate your input.
  5. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NY, USA
    Home Page:
    you mixes sound prety good. i hae a set of samson rubican ribbon monintors that sound VERY good when i mix hip hop. $300 ish for a pair