1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Test Acoustic/Vocals recording - what's missing?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by joorocker90210, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Just got a whole bunch of new equipment - and tonight I tried to do a quick acoustic test with some of it.

Check this audio file out and tell me what you think. It's just a demo of me singing/playing - ignore the performances (they're not too great) - I'm more interested in how I can improve the tone.

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/181206/1166411796/test-01.mp3

For miking the guitar, I used a Rode K2 and AKG C1000S in combination, for vocals - just the Rode K2.

There's some light EQ just to even things out a little.

Thanks a lot,
    Jason

2. Scratch that - try this one. (Better compression on vocals/guitar, and a more "present" sound)

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/181206/1166413324/test-02.mp3

Thanks again,
    Jason

3. sushi-mon

sushi-mon Guest

Hey Jason, nice stuff by the way. Well played and sung. Lots of feeling there for sure.

I think the recording quality is pretty good, the main problem I am noticing is that there seems to be some phasing issues going on.

Probably with your A/D converters or more likely whatever you compressed the audio file down to that I listened to.

What converters are you using, and what did you compress that file down to ?

Or, if you were tracking things live, phase issues with all the mics ?

4. cooledit

cooledit Guest

Thanks Jason

that makes it for me I need to get those Rode K2 going,

sound really nice and warm

5. Yeah - the Rode K2 is amazing - I definitely recommend it. First thing you'll probably notice is the high end - it's very smooth and silky.

6. Avidmusic

Avidmusic Guest

I like to see the difference between the Rode K2 and the Neumann TLM103 for vocals, since they are pretty much in the same price range. The Neumann is probably more transparent and doesn't add the warmth that the K2 does .