1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tests for buying used microphones?

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by WCKnitting, Jan 12, 2006.

1. WCKnitting

WCKnitting Guest

When purchasing used microphones, are there any tests one should perform to make sure the mic is in pefect shape? Specifically I'm thinking of getting a U87 and I want to make sure it's in good shape. Can we make a list of good tests to do when checking out used mics?

2. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

I would send it in to Tracy Korby at Korby Audio Labs, testing used microphones should be left to the microphone experts especially if you are going to drop over $1000 on a used microphone. He has worked on several high dollar vintage Neumanns for me and I've been extremely happy with the service.

As for a DIY guide all I can offer is this:
    Test it through actual usage and see how it holds up.
    Breathe out hot humid air onto the grill/capsule and see if the sound fades out at all, if so, the capsule needs to be checked out by a pro.

NOTE/EDIT: I'm talking about condenser microphones with the breath test. Ribbons generally aren't referred to as having 'capsules' (at least not in my experience)....they have ribbons not capsules. A wind gust can damage most ribbon microphones (except for the Royer 121 or 122 which have a thicker ribbon element and are more durable but still not unbreakable). But if you don't know this already you probably shouldn't be buying used high end microphones.

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I did that with a vintage but perfect looking RCA 77 and wouldn't you know it, the mic stopped working. What did I do wrong???

:lol:

4. WCKnitting

WCKnitting Guest

Thanks but I don't think I have time to send the mic to Nashville. That breath tests sounds cool. I think that and just listening will do. After all... its only money!!!

Oh yeah. That 77 is a ribon mic. Don't breath on that too hard. Do people usually use pop filters on those and 44s? Or is that why it has such a big grille?

5. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Thanks...I was kidding.