that crappy mp3 Cymbal sound

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by stonewall40, Feb 1, 2005.

1. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Hey guys, I'd like to hear some tips on prep' ing songs for the Mp3 format, to be posted onto the internets. ;)

What brought me to this was that I've been crusing around the MP3 sites and hearing some really good stuff. But once in awhile I hear a seemingly professonal recorded tune but the Cymbals are just really fake sounding.
    I mean, realy tiney, and tin-ey. Yanno what I mean? how about artificialy shitty?

I've converted many tunes of my own to mp3, but never had this problem. Is it the " producers" coversion from wav to mp3 or is a sreaming problem, or over compressing/limitting that converting?

Very curious, because I DO NOT want to make any cooky mistakes ... I guess I wouldnt make THIS mistake cause i wouldnt up load an MP3 that sounded like that in the first place.

2. Use Samson C-Control

Select VBR at 112 to 320kbs and your problems will go away.
  3. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

Thanks I appreciate that, but was wondering what was the cause of those crappy sounds.
    Personally I use the Wavelab MP3 encoder without a hitch.
  4. The "swishing" phasey sound is caused by the encoders inability to reconstruct the algorythum of the actual track. this usually happens at 112 and below. It is an old anomily of a poor constructed MP3.

5. chillthevibe

chillthevibe Guest

I have tried to use the Wavelabe encoder and I must say
    It is worth ZEEERRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at least for me.

I just won't use it....... :cool:

If you encode using something like the the Music match Juke box

you cymbals will sound tighter and less phasy check for the free one

Good luck :wink:
  6. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Hey Bill!! How've you been?

Yes, dbPowerAMP uses the LAME encoder, the best damn encoder on the planet.. and, it's totally free- no excuse for crappy mp3s. Check this list of programs that use LAME.

*edit: subject/verb agreement*
  7. stonewall40

stonewall40 Guest

thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.
  8. Hi David, great to see you. Everything going smooth?

David, I do not have PM rights in if you kindly would like to email me at audiowkstation at msn dot com, we can talk. I tried to PM BT but it is closed off. If y'all dont want me roaming around and participating, let me know.