1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

The best mix I have ever heard...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by baslotto, Oct 10, 2005.

1. baslotto

baslotto Active Member

I all!

Ok, here is the thing. I'm realizing that I'm not listening to enough "good music". I just got an iPod so i can use my dead moments for listening to well done mixes. Here is the question for everybody:

What is your favourite song/album/engineer? Please consider these characteristics:

- Variety of instruments and their tones
    - Dynamic groove of the whole song/mix
    - Progression of "hidden" sounds that make the mix being INTERESTING through out the whole development of the mix
    - Good individual sounds (i.e. "I like the drums there and the vocals here")

I'd like to have a good list of songs or albums to buy so I can train my brain for interesting mixes.

Anything will be more than welcome, from a classical recording to the most experimental mix (justified by the reason why you like that particular song or engineer), rock, pop, country, folk, etc... The music that you like is not important in this post, it's the way it's been mixed that will make the difference so don't be afraid to say that the last Britney Spears album rocks! :D

Thank you all, I hope this will be interesting for many of you.

Bas.

2. bounce

bounce Guest

Of course the Grammy winning Nora Jones record. It sounds really really great (2 years ago?).
    The Frou Frou- Details record is a work of art. The production, arranging, songwriting and performances are just amazing. Great sound design, great vocal phrasing, the arrangements are just stellar, everything weaves in and out of the spectrum, also in and out rhythmically, the use of timbres and blend of acoustic, electric, and electronic sounds is so seamless. They all just weave together. Just a killer piece of work.
    Of course you have to listen to Beatles and Led Zeppelin recordings!
    I love the sound of Donny Hathaway recordings (like "a song for you"- rich and creamy sounding, really defines warm to me, heck, could just be the performance).
    The AC/DC Back in Black record is just thick!
    The foo fighters records usually sound amazing.
    The new Green Day record sounds huge!
    Steely Dan records always sound great, clean and slick (though I'm not a fan, sorry everyone!).
    Janet Jackson records produced by Jam and Lewis and mixed by Steve Hodge I think sound just great. They translate to EVERYTHING well. Those guys rule.
    The Destiny's Child stuff sounds amazing (vocals sounds, stacking, tight editing, wow)
    If you're into IDM, the Autechre Lipswitch record is amazing and the Richard Devine record Assect Dessect is a great work for sound design inspiration.
    Rage Against the Machine- renegades of funk- for the riff rock guitar sounds (not to mention the other instruments).

Well there are some good ones in my book...hope this helps ; )

mckay
    bounce inventive audio

3. A few favourites of mine ...

The Seeds Of Love - Tears For Fears (epic work)
    Hysteria - Def Leppard (for sheer pristine-ness)
    Anything by NIckelback (for cutting edge rock sounds)
    Metallica - Metallica (they used something like 50 mics on the drums)
    Toxic - Britney Spears (an amazingly creative song in this genre)
    Genie In A Bottle - Christina (still a way out there instrumental)
    Back In Black - AC/DC (Mutt Lange with perfect old school engineering)
    Nevermind - Nirvana (reminds us how good a LIVE band can sound)
    Blood Sugar Sex Magick - RHCP (amazing drum sounds with amazing playing - apparently the band didn't change amp settings once, and got all sounds using their fingers)
    Hey Ya - Outkast (how the hell did they come up with this)
    Best Of - Fleetwood Mac (LIndsay Buckingham is one of the most creative producers and songwriters ever)

and of course ...

Revolver - The Beatles (pretty much the beginning of recording history in my opinion)

I love music that, despite (or maybe because of), it's sheer balls and originality, becomes massively successful.

4. Not going to say much
    expect

Frank Zappa

5. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Check out this thread as well...similar topic

(Dead Link Removed)

M4p and MP3 files are compressed and not really good reference sources for listening to audio. You are likely to loose a lot of the nuances from the recording when converting songs from their original format to one of these compressed formats.

6. Shinyville

Shinyville Guest

funny, I just loaded 20 something Zappa albums on my ipod this weekend!

To that, I'd add Beck's Odelay, Mr. Bungle's California, and pretty much anything recorded by Prince or John Zorn. Not a bad mix in the bunch.

7. Vaylence

Vaylence Guest

I have always been impressed with Dave Mathewes Band's Under the Table and Dreaming album. I really like the drum sounds on that baby. Give the CD a listen and you will really hear what I mean.

8. mattssons

mattssons Guest

Best mixes

I personally like the works of Bob Clearmountain, Spike Stent, Tony Maserati, Dave Pensado and the Lord-Alges. It seems like they divided the mixing in this world between them, with a few otherĀ“s ofcourse:)

9. supercharry

supercharry Guest

Radiohead-Hail to the thief is one of my favourites from the last days. Of course I cant ignore older recordings in the 60's-70's from Led Zeppelin, Pink FLoyd, Beatles.. and some more from that era.

10. Angstaroo

Angstaroo Active Member

Maroon 5 - Songs for Jane (Pop/rock/R&B): Really simple, clean production. Great sounding pop/R&B record with rock band instruments.

I Mother Earth - The Quicksilver Meat Dream (Rock/Experimental): Produced and engineered by the amazing David Bottrill, this album is like a three dimensional version of Tool's Aenima.

Toy Matinee (Pop)- An old favorite from 1989, and stylistically was even kind of dated then.. but with three excellent producers behind the desk (Bill Bottrell produced, Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard were the main writers and performers), and brilliant musicians such as Guy Pratt, Tim Pierce and Brian MacLeod involved.. just amazing.

..and if you can only get one, get this album:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (Rock/Pop): Essentially produced by four people, Albhy Galuten, Jack Joseph Puig, Andy Sturmer, and Roger Manning, this is quite simply a production masterpiece by two of the premier pop songwriters of our time, and I'm not even close to exaggerating. If you haven't heard Spilt Milk, you just haven't heard.

11. sickyboy

sickyboy Guest

It's all good. But I second Zappa. Also The Who's Quadrophinia and Live at Leed's are pretty sweet.

12. Headbanger

Headbanger Guest

Aerosmith productions in the last 15 years
    Backstreet Boys' stuff
    G'n'R - Appetite for destruction
    AC/DC - Back in Black, I agree
    ABBA, lots of weird tracks
    Pantera- Cowboys from hell

13. Headbanger

Headbanger Guest

...and all of Robbie Williams !

14. Digger

Digger Guest

Dave Matthews Band - Underthe table and dreaming, Crash, Before these Crowded Streets

Seal (first two albums)

Phil Collins - Face Value

15. NTDunn

NTDunn Active Member

Mr Bungle- California

16. NTDunn

NTDunn Active Member

also try Queensryche-Empire

17. NTDunn

NTDunn Active Member

sorry i keep thinking of new ones, but also try Faith No More- Angel Dust

18. mjau

mjau Guest

I'm a huge fan of the Earlimart album Treble and Tremble...there's a lot of manipulation of sounds on there, but it's done in a way that makes the mixes gel together beautifully.
    Bonnie Prince Billy's Master and Everyone is probably the best example of space in a mix that I can think of, though Neil Young's Harvest is pretty damned good, too.
    Hum's album You'd Prefer an Astronaut is perfect in terms of huge guitars.
    My favorite mix, though, is probably the Beach Boys song Let 'Em Run Wild.

19. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

Some of these may have already been listed:

Queensryche - Rage for Order and Empire (of course)
    Alison Krause & Union Station (especially "Forget About It")
    Page & Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale (a Steve Albini masterpiece)
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (of course)
    Dido's last album. Great mix
    Train - Train

20. idiophone

idiophone Guest

This is my #1, as well, and has been so since it came out.

I also dig:

XTC "Skylarking" (for everything)

Fiona Apple "When the Pawn...." (best drum record since Spilt Milk)

Jet "Get Born" (Amazing guitar and drum sounds, even if the band sucks)

Switchfoot "Nothing Is Sound" (my new favorite for CLA HUGE arena guitars, also see the new Green Day)

RHCP - "BSSM" (for vibe)

Elvis Costello "Blood and Chocolate" (for cool rock sounds with a live-but-tight feel - recorded through a PA)

[edit:] Also, Neil Finn's "Try Whistling This" for depth and 3D.

~id