1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

The Brick

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by the_gid, Jun 6, 2005.

1. the_gid

the_gid Guest

I've read so much stuff from all the great guys here at RO about having good mic pre's - and have seen so many people approving of 'the brick' that I was thinking about getting one.

I currently run a G4pbook 1.67GHz with a Presonus Firepod -

was wondering how I would hook such a mic pre up with my system - if it's possible??

Cheers - im still fairly new to this stuff
  2. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

Hi the_gid,

I think that your Firepod has inserts. If that is the case then I would use these. (the return, not the send) You don't want to run your signal through another pre, so you have to make sure you bypass the ones in your firepod. (Line-in would also work, but it could be that the line-ins are just mic pres with a pad to make it line level. I'm not sure as I don't know much about the firepod.)

You might want to do a search, I'm pretty sure that Kurt has posted something about the best way to hook up a Brick.

I use the inserts on my Tascam FW1082 and I'm happy with the sound.

Good luck.

FWIW: I'm thinking of buying another Brick. I likes 'em! :twisted:
  3. the_gid

the_gid Guest

ok cheers... i'll have a better rummage on the forums!
  4. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I have a Firepod and a Brick and i run it like this MIC>FIREPOD>DAW

The Firepod's preamps are very transparent so i have never used the insert technique. the Brick makes even some of my cheaper mics sound good.

5. the_gid

the_gid Guest

so mic>firepod line in (on the front?)>lineout (on the back) to the Brick...??? how do you get the signal from the brick to your DAW??

i don't understand - please be very detailed! :wink:
    thanks very much
  6. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

Mic > Brick (Mic in) then via the Brick's line out to a line in (not mic in) on your Firepod.

(if you don't want to go the insert route, that is 8) )

That's all.

Good luck.
  7. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'll try to explain a bit more.
    Mic > XLR mic input on brick > Balanced XLR out on brick > input 1 on Firepod

i've been using a balanced XLR to TRS cable to go from my brick balanced output to the Firepod, but use whatever works best for you.

8. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Yeah, you want to go into a line input so that you can bypass the onboard pres. Use an XLR to 1/4" cable like what was previously suggested. The Presonus pre's are great for the money, especially considering the total package.

You will notice an nice difference in the sound when using the Bricks though. You'll love having a different flavor in there. Go for it!
  9. the_gid

the_gid Guest

ok! so..

its, MIC>BRICK>FIREPOD using TRS into the FRONT - channel 1. ?

thanks for all the replies!
  10. tommyd

tommyd Guest

A question along the same lines,

Why can't you run through the brick first and then the preamp on the firepod? Keeping that second preamp turned all the way down. Isn't the reason to go through the Brick just to get 'it's sound' as opposed to a cheaper preamp? Even if the second preamp isn't very good, wouldn't a lot of the Brick sound mixed with minimal Firepod sound be better than all Firepod sound?

When I run my bass into my workstation, I go through my Ampeg amp's preamp section first and then into the workstations preamp without any noticeably bad effect.

Just curious, thinking of buying a brick, but don't want to be counterproductive.

11. radioliver

radioliver Guest

Usually, you want to avoid sending the signal from a good pre into a bad pre. Good sound into bad sound = bad sound. You can minimize the effect of the bad pre by turning it all the way down but the best way is to use inserts/line ins.
  12. the_gid

the_gid Guest

but the firepod doesn't have any line-ins which aren't pre-amped

so can i bypass the firepod pre in any way..?
  13. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Just plug it into the 1/4" part of the inputs on any channel 3 through 8. Those are line inputs and will be at the right level for you. 1-2's 1/4" inputs are instrument level.

Whether it technically bypasses the gain stage or not, I'm not sure...but either way this is the way to go about it on the Firepod. It will sound good doing it this way.
  14. the_gid

the_gid Guest

cheers dude..

the only problem now is getting hold of one at a decent price - I'm in the UK and can't find any outlet which stocks the damn thing - and can't find any US website which will deliver internationally either! arg!
  15. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

Check http://www.groovetubes.com

There's a list of dealers. (also in the UK). They should be able to order one for you.

Let us know what you think of it when you have one. :D
  16. the_gid

the_gid Guest

yeah i've checked them all out .. none stock the brick..how crap is that! plus its probably cheaper for me to buy it from the US and stick a 2 to 3 pin plug adapter on it.
  17. Grooveteer

Grooveteer Guest

Yeah, I had to shell out 590 Euro for mine (approx US$ 725 :shock: )

I thought about ordering one from the US, but sometimes I can be pretty impatient :wink:

I tried to justify myself by saying "Yeah, well.. um.. what if it breaks?"
  18. the_gid

the_gid Guest

i just found audiomidi.com

can get it shipped for a total of $474.63 .. not bad?!

however - it'll probably get import taxed like a bitch
  19. J-3

J-3 Active Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Got mine at GC $300 each no tax. Just talk to them.

My .02 cents on The Brick.

I'm comparing it to an Allen & Heath Mixer and a Great River MP2NV. The Bricks sound is big and warm, a little murky in the mid's/highs. I can see myself using it for kick, bass or anything that needs a little beef in the bottom. It dosn't "overdrive" and get gritty or distorted. I love this thing for bass di. It clearly (imho) is a better bass DI than the MP2NV. I typicaly don't ever use DI on bass but I might now. I can't wait to mic up a bass cab thru this thing and see what it'll do. (the brick with the EL8x set on "opto" with an old P bass was pretty kick butt sounding. ) I'll probably take one back and keep one just for bass and kick etc. All in all not bad. Didn't like it at all for Ac gtrs. Elec and vox it'll be ok but not as pretty as the MP2NV.

I really havn't had much time with it yet. I'll drop more info when I've had more time behind that big black bakelite knob.

did I mention they are as ugly as can be! I'm gonna have to hide them in my rack so you can only see the front. j/k heh heh heh
  20. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    ive found a new use where it really shines. i just did some location work, i used it with an old ev 636(dynamic omni mic) as a room mic. i then used my 4000e on drums and bass. this was a live recording in a coffee shope on to an 8 track dat and i had to run the remaining guitars and vocals through the board pres (makie cr 1604 vlz). iv sounded okay. then doing the mix down i reran the violin thru the seb and the vox thru the brick, thats when it all can togather. the vocals became smooth and silkly(for a live recording). now the sound is perfact, if only there preformance was ;)