1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

THE BUILD II

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SonOfSmawg, Apr 9, 2002.

1. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Okidoki, I have all of the components (again), and I'm getting ready to start assembly. This time, I've upgraded a little bit, so I'm hoping that things go smoothly. Here it is ...
    Codegen 9001 server case with 300XX 350w P/S
    AMD Athlon 950
    iWill XP333 mobo (non-RAID)
    Thermalright SK-6 heatsink / Delta 60mm fan
    Samsung DDR SDRAM (true PC2700), 256Mb
    Appian Geronimo Pro graphics
    Creative 52X CDROM / Mitsumi FDD
    Quantum Fireball+ HDD, 10Gb
    Diamond SupraExpress 56k USB modem
    It seems, to me, that it should be relatively simple.
    What's the best, safest way to O/C it to a little over a Gig?
    Here in Pahrump, it's VERY dusty, and I have to clean my puters out about once a month. Is there some sort of filter that I can put in front of the fans? I was thinking of using a 3M "scrubby" pad ... it will block airflow a little, but I think I have enough fans/airflow that it shouldn't be a major issue (?). Any suggestions?

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Uh oh....is this the warning that my phone will be ringing at some point? lol Oh gee...I forgot to charge it..aww, shucks..hee hee!! Just kidding of course. There are some mounts you can put on fans that have the cotton based filters. There's on in the rackmountable case I have(and Tommy and one other person who's name I forget!...so sorry!)
    Sounds like a winner build to me....
    Opus

3. SonOfSmawg

LOL ... don't worry ... I won't call you til I've totally ^#$%ed everything up beyong recognition! You know ... like last time! :roll:

4. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

(screaming into a concrete echo chamber)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    O.k. that felt better.
    HA HA, Kidding of course! :D This ones gonna go good. Second times a charm. And the site is moving a little faster too. Everything is in its proper place, the moon,... the stars... the fulcrum point of the heatsink clip over the CPU...

5. SonOfSmawg

Welp, I'm putting it together tonight. I have the processor, heatsink, fan, and memory installed on the motherboard. I already ran into my first headache ... the damn little brass inserts are bigger than the intended holes in the case. What a pain in the ass! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that the rest of the build goes smoothly.
    I changed my mind about Winblows 2000 ... I'm going with XP Pro instead, for game's sake.
    I'll let y'all know how it turns out ... and hopefully it will be an announcement of success. Either that or audiokid better get a swear filter for the BB.

6. Opus2000

Good luck SOS!!
    Cant wait to hear good news for once from you!!
    Opus :D

7. SonOfSmawg

Here I sit, at my Mac, staring over at my PC desk. The new tower is completely assembled, and I'm taking a short break before "the moment of truth". I have all of my CDs and floppies ready to load XP Pro and all of the drivers. It's been about a month since my last "build" attempt, and I'm scared to death.
    So, here goes. If you hear of major power-outages in the southwestern US, relax, it's just SOS...

8. Tommy P.

Just thought I'd check-in before going to work, 6am here. I see the last post at 12:19am. Hope its all going well.

Tommy P.

9. Opus2000

Yeah SOS....whats going on? Any luck?
    Opus

10. Tommy P.

He musta been assimilated by the mobo, probably, teaching Tron some kewl blues guitar licks... :p

11. Opus2000

Nah...I think he finally got the Tarmac opened and he's running away from those that say "Exterminate...Exterminate!!"
    Opus :p

12. SonOfSmawg

Ummm ... I didn't post because my Mommy taught me that if I don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all.
    Well, it came up just fine to begin-with, so I went into the BIOS and changed the boot-up order to CDROM, FDD, HDD ... save and exit. That's the last I saw of it.
    I tried clearing the CMOS in every way I could find to do-so, but can't get it to clear. I called iWill this morning and left a detailed message, but they didn't return my call.
    At this point, I'm pretty fed-up. I was up all night, til 11:00 this morning, trying to get this thing to work. I'm truly at wit's end with this damn PC. I've had my Mac for over 2 years with never a problem. How can you guys stand these damn things?
    The only advice that I have for people who are not computer technicians ... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

13. Tommy P.

Do you hear the single beep and can you still get into the BIOS?

14. SonOfSmawg

Nope, no beeps, can't get into BIOS. No signal to monitor at all. Everything was working fine when it fist came up though, so I know all of my components are fine ... monitor, graphics card, yadayadayada...
    It won't read a CD or floppy. Everything is churning away beautifully ... everything is physically working. I'm absolutely positive that this is a CMOS problem. Either I can't get it to reset, or there's nothing there to reset (?). Like I said, initially, everything seemed AOK, I changed the boot-up sequence, save and exit, then nothing. I've tried all of the standard methods for resetting the CMOS, including holding down the insert key, holding down the delete key, the jumper method, removing the battery for hours, removing everything from the mobo and using the jumper method ... nothing has gotten me back into the BIOS. My monitor remains blank, with the yellow light on. I'm about ready to say, "^#$% it", and sell it off in parts. This just isn't worth the aggravation.

15. Prof.Sound

Prof.Sound Guest

Never mind, I just re-read your post so I deleted my comments.

16. Opus2000

huh? :roll:
    CDROM and Hard drive only...
    It cant be a CMOS/BIOS thang...load the default settings..done deal.
    When you originally booted it up you said it worked fine...in what way?
    Opus :roll:

17. SonOfSmawg

All connections have been checked, re-checked, and checked several more times. The light on the FDD isn't on. My system only uses minimal components. There is a HDD, FDD, CDROM, and a graphics card. I will be using a USB modem, but it has never been connected to the machine yet.
    After I posted that assembly was completed, I turned it on. A screen came up that said iWill, gave the BIOS info, gave the IDE device info, and prompted you to go into the BIOS. Everything appeared to be right ... as it should be. I set the boot-up sequence to CDROM, FDD, HDD, so that when the puter came back up, it would start-up from the WXP Pro CD and load the OS. I saved and exited. That was the last time I saw anything on my monitor.

18. Opus2000

God damn...oh yeah, I meant to post on the last post...Why the ^%&(* didnt you call me you &&*)(* bozo?!!!!! lol
    :p
    Opus

19. SonOfSmawg

The HDD is on IDE0 as master. The CDROM is on IDE1 as master, on the ends of separate cables, of course. There are no other IDE devices.
    Ummm ... I wasn't going going to call you in the middle of the night to have you help me with a bloody PC!

20. Opus2000

Umm, C'mon....who sits infront of a computer till 2am pretty much every night!! lol ME!!!!

Man, I'm at a loss...did ya try putting the hard drive as the Master and CDROM as slave on the primary IDE? Always worth a try, trying different cables as well and trying the cables either way too....just brainstorming here!
    Opus