1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

The Different Versions of the AKG C 414...

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by moonbaby, Mar 25, 2013.

1. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

OK, so...
    I have an AKG C 414B-XLS. A recent vintage, it has all the fancy electronic switching that they've employed
    in their newer versions of that model. Silver-colored mesh, I like this mic for mois better than the U87 in the cabinet.
    What is the difference between this one and the C 414B-ULS?
    And what can you tell me about the C 414B TL II ?
    I have a
    I know that the differences are usually at the top end of the response curves, but I can't see any info as to what these differences are.
    Any feedback would be appreciated...

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

you might find this interesting

C 414B-ULS
    figure8.gif

414 B-XLS

agrams1079353499_diagramhires1079353497_c414b_XLS_4051794bd077f-0206ec91ef8c187902edcaf4060eafe4.JPG
    Screen-shot-2011-02-22-at-1.11.01-PM.png

3. moonbaby

Thanks, Kurt. I understand that the XLS that I have is the flatter of the (2). I was wanting to know the difference between that and the B-ULS...

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

check this

AKG_fig8.gif

5. moonbaby

Thanks, Kurt!
    I was asking because I ran across someone selling a B-ULS and a pair of TL II's. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The real difference is the old ULS is truly figure of 8 and sounds the same front or back. The newer XLS and XLII (I have a pair of both) are brighter sounding on the front capsule v the back capsule. The XLS is the darker sounding of the current generation and closest to the older ULS sound (front of cap at any rate). The other differences are of course in the electronics. It is difficult to repair the modern versions while the ULS is fairly simple for a repair shop to replace components. None of the electronics in mine have ever had any issues so that may be a moot point.

7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

You guys are leaving out the 414 EB... ;)

Originally released in 1980 using the original C12 capsule with a brass diaphragm ring as opposed to later versions that used nylon/plastic.

75 /150 hi pass, -10/-20 pad, cardioid, hyper cardioid, omni, 8.

Attached Files:

8. moonbaby

John:
    I remembered that you had posted about your pairs of 414's, thanks for the info . I will probably get the ULS as opposed to the pair of TLII's.
    Donny:
    I forgot about those EB's! I worked in a studio that had a pair of those when they first came out. They were dedicated to the Yamaha grand they had. I learned the hard way which way they oriented....LOL!!!
    Thanks for the enlightenment!