1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

***THE FINAL BUILD***

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SonOfSmawg, May 24, 2002.

1. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

I ordered my graphics card this morning. After much consideration, I decided on the MSI GeForce4 MX460. With the long weekend upon us, I'm hoping they get it shipped-out today.
    I have all of my other components sitting here. I'll put them back in the case this weekend. So when the graphics card gets here, all I have to do is plug it in, and I'll be ready to rock.
    I also need to get my axe out of the shed in case it doesn't work. :eek:

2. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute ( starts chanting...ohmmmm....ohmmmmmmmmmmmm....everyone joins in on R.O. ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) :D
    Alrighty then. Lets proceed to THE FINAL BUILD.
    Cameras are rolling, barely a whisper in the house, and then.....and then... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh well, guess we won't know till after Tuesday. Have fun with the new puter SOS.

3. SonOfSmawg

That must have been the problem before ... nobody chanted!
    Well, one of my buddies lent me a graphics card until mine comes, I put the puter together, and I'M UP AND RUNNING! Let's just hope my new graphics card works, too.
    I guess I can put the axe away now!

4. theDuDe

theDuDe Guest

don't be too hasty, man... you may need that axe yet!

theDuDe

5. SonOfSmawg

Nah, I won't need the axe. The new graphics card is a real good one ... it comes with a buncha games so it MUST be good! LOL
    I just wanna get the new one in so I can get the overclocking over-with, and then only open the case for a good Pahrump dusting once a month (it's VERY dusty here).
    Hehehe ... I'd forgotten how much fun it is downloading all of the applications and updates for Windows ... big fun ... NOT!

6. SonOfSmawg

I am using one stick (256Mb) of Samsung true PC2700, but my system is showing it at 200Mhz (should be 333, right?). I haven't messed with changing any "stock" settings on the system at all. Is there a setting(s) that I need to check or change? I'm thinking that my system would be much better with the memory working as it was intended.

7. Tommy P.

You need to raise your FSB, and change your cpu/memory ratio settings. Right now you are at 1/1 or, syncronous(this is default settings). You need to do two things. Raise your FSB and change the cpu/ram ratio. Ready for a little overclocking? :D

8. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

oh no.... :D

9. SonOfSmawg

Allrrrighty-then ... Ummm ... Huh?
    Okay, I need to know, specifically, what to do, and how much to do it. My Athlon950 has a 200FSB. My memory is 333 DDR. I think the FSB is set at 100 (By jumper. Other jumper setting is 133.). There are all sorts of overclocking facilities in the BIOS.
    So, specifically, what should the cpu/ram ratio be set-at, and how do I do that? AND, what should the FSB be set-at, and how do you do THAT? I'm guessing that they effect each other?
    Also, the video card that I'm using right now (which is borrowed from a friend) is a PCI card, so overclocking will effect it, so I need to be careful not to blow it up. The one that I ordered is AGP, and has its' own overclocking utility. :D Should I leave the overclocking alone until I have the AGP graphics card installed, or will it be OK to do it now?

10. SonOfSmawg

I shoulda just bought a new Mac and VirtualPC. :p

11. Tommy P.

(Tommy P. breaks out the Queens, NY accent)
    Yo OPUS, can ya take da good news? Its an upswing here on RO I tell ya... :D
    (Tommy P. puts the NY accent back in the box and becomes nerdgeekguitarman again)
    SOS, I'm going to the Athlon overclocking database to see what the average overclock for a T'bird 950 is. I'm sure you can get to 1263.5 Mhz by running your FSB at 133(PCI bus will stay in specs, your SK6 heatsink should be up to the task. I'll be back... :D

12. SonOfSmawg

Jeeeez! Sounds pretty extreme to me...
    Well, my CPU temp is only 98 degrees, and it's been "on" since I got it up. The Thermalright has a 60mm Delta on it, there is a fan on the chipset, and there are 2 MASSIVE case fans in the back (blowing air out). There's also a fan on the graphics card I ordered. I'm going to get a copper cooling thingy for my memory, but not an active cooler, as I've read that they don't do much better than the copper passives. I guess you could say there's plenty of cooling going on here!
    Could you explain to me how the FSB effects the speeds of stuff? Since my FSB is set to 100, is that why my memory is only registering as 200Mhz? Would I have to set the FSB to 161.5 to get my memory up to 333Mhz? Or am I understanding this completely wrong? If I set the FSB that high, is it likely to blow either this graphics card, or the new one when I get it? I just want to understand the principles behind what I'm doing when I go messing with this stuff.
    I'll check back here in a while to see if you've replied again.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

13. Tommy P.

OK, I checked the database, it must be old(the database), but the 950 averages 1130Mhz at about 1.8volts with a good heatsink http://www.overclockers.com/ .
    Great!, keep the computer running, as a matter of fact, "burning in" for a week before attempting to overclock helps to give better results. You should download a copy of Sandra , and loop some cpu and memory stress tests.
    Yep, you got the idea on the overclockin stuff. One extra thing is, you should be able to run the cpu/ram asyncronously. That is, instead of 1/1 cpu/mem ratio there should be settings for 1/1, 4/3 ect, allowing the memory to clock higher than the cpu (negotiated by the memory controller hub- MCH). I need to download the XP333 manual to see whats available. Also, you can set ram timings more agressivly for substantial gains in performance!
    See if you have control over the cpu multiplier in the bios. Your 950 is set to 9.5 by the factory(9.5 x 100fsb=950Mhz). If you can set it manually, lowering the multiplier to 7.5 and running the fsb at 133 will give you a quick jump to 997.5 @ 266 1/1. Then try a different divider like 4/3 and your ram will be at 354 with cpu at 1000! (4/3 times 266fsb= 354.6666).
    If the multiplier is locked at 9.5, there is a way to unlock it with a pencil(I've done it many times, even cut laser bridges on my T bird with a Dremel tool, Oh yeah, I've used 600grit sandpaper to "lap" down the processor for greater heat dissapation).
    :D
    OPUS, did I leave anything out? ;)

14. SonOfSmawg

Okidoki ...
    The FSB:
    Can be jumpered at 100 or 133. In the BIOS, you can adjust the CPU FSB by 1Mhz intervals.
    CPU Vcore:
    Adjustable in the BIOS, in .025 increments, from 1.125V up to 1.850V
    PCI Clock Divider:
    In the BIOS...
    Auto (Default Value), CPU/3, CPU/4
    Please clarify this for me...
    Overclocking doesn't affect cards on the PCI bus?
    Anyway ... those are the variables that I have available. There is no multiplier setting. So, let me see if my understanding is correct, and if this is what I should do...
    Leave the Vcore setting at "Auto".
    Raise the FSB to 115 (950+142.5=1.0925Gb)
    Change the Clock Divider to CPU/3:
    1092.5 divided by 3 = 364Mhz ram
    Am I understanding the mathematical equations correctly? Is that going about it the wrong way? Where is the core voltage set at the factory? Would raising the core voltage allow for raising the other variables less? If not the way I outlined, what would be the best and safest way to do the O/C?

15. Tommy P.

Thats it SOS! You got it all correct. The PCI bus is affected, but at such a mild FSB overclock (from 100 to 115) there won't be a problem. And your CPU will be at 230fsb. What is the default voltage for the CPU?

16. Tommy P.

Also, the PCI bus will always be within perfect specs when you chose FSB speeds in multiples of 33. 100FSB, 133, 166 ect. Same for the AGP bus.

17. SonOfSmawg

I treid multiplier of 8 with 133 FSB ... NO VIDEO SIGNAL! I have to try to flash the BIOS, which it WOULD NOT do before! That's why I had to send it to iWill! ^#$%!!!!!!!!

18. Tommy P.

Hold on! Don't change anything! After unsuccessful changes of FSB, the XP333 should default to the factory settings after a few re-starts. (says in the manual) or clear CMOS, load optimized defaults) ;)

You got mail ( my home phone #)!

19. SonOfSmawg

NO PROB! I was able to reset the CMOS with the simple old "change the jumper for 10 seconds" method. I reset the BIOS to optimums, then did my best FSB-only O/C.
    I boosted the FSB to 118, and my machine is now an 1121, with the RAM showing as 236. It seems to be the maximum possible STABLE O/C possible without changing anything else. Will the PCI bus be okay with this?
    My Vcore voltage is 1.77V, the +3.3voltage is 3.29V, the +5voltage is 4.97V, and the +12voltage is 12.28V. If I boost the Vcore voltage to 1.8, will I be able to get a few more Mhz on the FSB? Is it safe to boost the Vcore that little bit?
    My CPU temp is now 104, system temp is 91.

20. Tommy P.

Phew! Thought I was gonna have to hop on a plane to Pahrump! LOL! Thats cool man. No really the CPU temp is cool. :D