1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

The frequency range of male and female voice

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ritu, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ritu

ritu Guest

The frequency range of male and female voice?In a song , what is the general or most common frequency range in which the voice signals lie ? i looked it up on google and all i got was some charts .i need the frequency range which has statistical proof.that could be used for experimental purposes .links to related study materials would be helpful .

2. vttom

vttom Active Member

The musical note "A" above middle "C" is 440Hz. When you go up an octave, the frequency doubles. When you go down an octave, the frequency halves. A male bass's range goes down to roughly the A 2 octaves below middle C, so that's (440/2)/2 = 110Hz. A female soprano's range extends to roughly the A 2 octaves above middle C, so that's 440*2=880Hz. (I "rounded" to A to make the math easy, the actual range is a little wider. See: Vocal range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

3. sachit

sachit Active Member

To the OP: By frequency range, do you mean the range within which the fundamentals of the ranges of the voices lie? I think that's what vttom has explained. Or do you want the frequency range within which all the sounds produced by a male/female voice will fall if a spectrum analyzer is used? That will be typically much wider than the range of the fundamentals, as it will include the non-melodic(unpitched?) aspects of the human voice, including breath sounds, formants and the like.