1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

the next step

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Sidhu, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Hi,

Im in need for at least two more mic pres. Currently i have 2 Behringer UB's. I was wondering if there is a reasonably priced option that i should consider, and if realistic, wait a little, save up and invest

(bear in mind that majority of equipment is not available here, ill need to import direct, and duties are at a current of 40% of the cost including shipping and insurance)

I also use the what is probably the cheapest 4IO card available around. The audiotrak maya 44MkII.

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya44mk2.htm

Does it make more sence to buy a decent card. though im kinda sure that upgrading to an M-audio will not bring about a great deal of change.

Are the Yamaha MG consoles any good? We get these around for a reasonable price.. I have used one in a non-critical environment and liked it.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixer/a_mixer/mg_series/mg_com/index.htm

i looked at the FMR pre, but it's a bit out of my range right now... Ill wait it out if it's really worth it.. but id rather get some acoustics done...

Thanks a ton

Sidhu

2. JBsound

JBsound Guest

The m-audio dmp3 is about the best budget pre (under $200) out there right now.

3. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

thanks, were getting it for about 300 here.. ill look into it

Sidhu

4. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Oh, I didn't even see where you were!

5. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

i think i can afford this ammount in the very near future... If it is a reasonable step up from the Behringer's il invest.. or should still wait it out (maybe purchase another behringer meanwhile) and finally invest in a couple of Bricks or something..

Sidhu

6. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Well, I think that the bricks would be a little better, but this would be a good intermediate step. It's a step up from the behringer for sure.

What does a brick cost over there?

7. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Well... we dont get 99% of pro audio products here.. including anything by GT. Ill have to import direct.

:roll:

Add a 50% to the total cost of what the Brick would cost me (including shipping and insurence). that what it would roughly cost me here.

That im getting the M-audio pre is a good scene... also im having to pay only bout 50% over the american cost, which one would consider reasonable figuring that after the dealer anddistributor markup, most pro audio import costs atleast twice.

It's cheaper to import direct, but then i dont get a bill nor warranty...

Sidhu