The secret to great mastering.

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by StephenMC, Jan 10, 2009.

1. StephenMC

StephenMC Member

http://www.vloud.com/

Bahahahaha. It's really sad.

2. jammster

jammster Active Member

I really like the sound of square waves!

Seriously, mastering is one of those things that I am interested in learning more about.

Not something thats easy.

Just like painting a masterpiece it takes knowledge of what tools you need to do what your trying to achieve.

I just checked out the free demo of Ozone 3.
    Fully functional for 10 days. I was very impressed with the results and will probably end up buying it when I can scrape the money together to get it.

3. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

"it just makes everything sound better" everything? what a joke. monkeys are about to take over and rule the planet...

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

YES!

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Ozone Four is out and it is a BIG improvement over three.....YMMV

6. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

The secret to a great mastering job is hiring a GREAT mastering engineer.

7. MBBCFP

MBBCFP Guest

Please tell us what a great mastering engineer does.

8. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

Good ears. Since every track is different, a good mastering engineer needs to know what to listen for. You should think of a mastering engineer as a musical artist. No software in the world is able to make those critical decisions for you.

9. MBBCFP

MBBCFP Guest

Oh, that.

I understand there is much confusion over the difference between the recording process and what has become known in post-vinyl days as the mastering process. I agree, ears are the most important equipment in the combined process. Reasonably good equipment can capture a pretty good recording and a good engineer can both record and master IF he/she understands what needs to be accomplished in each process.

Much of what may be thought of as mastering can and should be taken care of during the original recording. I am not talking about compressing, eqing, etc. rather getting the cleanest, best sounding tracks possible. The better the initial recording, the less processing or mastering needs be done later.

True mastering makes (or allows) each adjoining track in a compilation to have a logical relationship with those before and after it. The tracks do not need to and should not sound the same -- BORING -- but they should belong to the same CD family. Just as the songs, pieces, tracks or whatever are chosen and their order is chosen to tell a "story," the sound should be complimentary. Complimentary could very well be a vivid contrast, but for a thoughtful reason and not by accident.

The same person may be able to provide the final touches to a CD (oh, we call that "Mastering") but that person needs some time space after doing the mixing to forget what that mental concept of the desired sound was and listen with "new ears" to what it really sounds like. Only then can one begin to fix or improve things.

That may be the overwhelming reason to hire a different ME; new ears.

IMHO

10. Space

Space Well-Known Member

"IF " is the operator. The term mastering gets thrown around with the same frequency that "building a studio" gets thrown around. The first is mostly folks with a handful of crap that want some sugar and the other is people that acquire gear for the sake of gear. I think you can actually interchange the two and the end result is the same.

Neither is correct, as to my understanding of the words. Mind you I am a construction rat. Take it for what it is worth.

You are preaching to the choir Mike.

I guess you would have rather stood on Thomas W. Bethels' head and said your piece, but at least you said it right ;)

11. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Tom has almost 2000 posts (as of today) a few of them might have touched on this topic </end heavy sarcasm>

12. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

You need to click on that www link under Thomas Bethel's signature. Notice that his monitoring system is likely worth more than your entire setup. Yeah. I'm not kidding. And lo and behold! Not a single Be****ger product in site!

13. Greener

Greener Guest

Sight.

14. Space

Space Well-Known Member

or on site

15. Greener

Greener Guest

Or on site.

Cmon... Wanna play with the likes of a whinging bitch such as myself, come armed with a shift key and a period.

/Not always right, but always more correct than some.

16. Space

Space Well-Known Member

You are a shift key.

17. hueseph

Just call me the king of typos.

18. MBBCFP

MBBCFP Guest

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do not argue with the truth that great mastering may be the difference between a good album and a great album. I do not argue that many have more expensive monitors than my whole rig. How high on the wall you can pee is not the question. I only said the mastering process begins with a good recording. Some recording folks CAN also master. Some, not all.

19. hueseph

I just think you should consider a person's credentials before questioning their opinions.

20. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Age before beauty and all that.