The weakest link - Advice

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by dontgetmad, Jun 16, 2004.

1. dontgetmad

dontgetmad Guest

Hi,

Here is the setup: Layla 24/96 (stereo out) ---->Manley Pultec ---->Manley Vari-MU ----->Apogee PSX-100 ----->Alesis Masterlink (for CD burning).

Any suggestion on the chain order or any advice. Thanks in advance !!

Richard

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Compress after you EQ ...
    Nice recording chain ..

3. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

You can try using your apogee D/A going into your analog gear to see if you get better results.

I almost always compress after eq.

4. dontgetmad

dontgetmad Guest

Thanks guys, that is very useful. I will give it a try and let you know how it went and some observations as well.

THANKS !!

5. dontgetmad

dontgetmad Guest

Hi again,

I might be stupid but what I wrote on my first topic, the compression is after the EQ isn't it ?

Thanks,
    Richard

6. Michael Fossenkemper

yes it is, but Kurts post seemed to question that.

7. dontgetmad

dontgetmad Guest

Michael,

If I go analog first with the Apogee, wouldn't the Masterlink do the Digital conversion at the end ?

Thanks !

Richard

8. Michael Fossenkemper

does the psx 100 allow you to operate the A/D and D/A seperately? if not, you can see how it differs using different converts in different combinations and see if it works better. but first see if you can use it independently.

9. dontgetmad

dontgetmad Guest

You are RIGHT !! It can work indepently (on paper anyway). I will give it a try. Thanks again Michael, it is appreciated.

Richard