1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

The Wrecking Crew - Official Trailer

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by audiokid, Aug 23, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

The Beach Boys, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Nate King Cole and many more. Behind their success was a group of studio musicians called The Wrecking Crew.

What the Funk Brothers did for Motown… The Wrecking Crew did, only bigger, for the West Coast Sound. Six years in a row in the 1960s and early 1970s, the Grammy for “Record of the Year” went to Wrecking Crew recordings. And now, THE WRECKING CREW tells the story in pictures and that oh, so glorious sound. THE WRECKING CREW is a documentary film produced and directed by Denny Tedesco, son of legendary late Wrecking Crew guitarist Tommy Tedesco. The film tells the story of the unsung musicians that provided the backbeat, the bottom and the swinging melody that drove many of the number one hits of the 1960’s.

pcrecord likes this.
  2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

It's on Netflix right now ( at least here in the U.S.)... a must-see documentary.

This group of session musicians did the backing tracks for everyone from Sinatra and Nat King Cole to The Monkees and the Mama's and The Papa's, as well as several TV show themes... (Tommy Tedesco played the guitar riff on Bonanza).

It's a fantastic look back at a time in music that will probably never occur again.

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I caught it on the AXS channel (for free), but I would have gladly paid for it. It's a great documentary, well worth your time.

It's staggering when you hear the number of iconic recordings the Wrecking Crew did in such a short time (and then rarely got credited).

The Muscle Shoals documentary is another one everyone here should be interested in, along with Soundcity.

kmetal likes this.
  5. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Watched it on demand, definitely an amazing story.

6. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I would add Standing In The Shadows of Motown - The Funk Brothers Story to that list.

7. DM60

DM60 Active Member

I was rather impressed with the Muscle Shoals documentary. Actually, really surprised of the sound that came from those guys. The Wrecking Crew was interesting, and really more of a disappointment knowing very few groups played on their records. Everyone gave the Monkeys a hard time because they didn't play on their records, when even the Beach Boys were guilty.

I don't know, makes the argument of today "what is real and what isn't" really more of what hasn't changed from the past.

8. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

The industry have often encouraged shortcuts over the years. I guess Milli Vanelli was the worst story I heard; the haven't even sing the song themself !!
    Making more money is like a plague... lol

9. DM60

DM60 Active Member

Yea, I was going to reference them, then when there was a reference that they didn't even sing, I went OK, that is about the worst it can be. But they did photograph well :)

pcrecord likes this.