1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Thinking of buying a lunchbox

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by dj2, Apr 27, 2012.

1. dj2

dj2 Active Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to invest in some new gear with a budget of $3k max! I have little experience with outboard gear so bear with me on deciding
    what I should buy. I have a custom win7 pc, krk vxt4's, ableton suite 8, komplete 8, e-mu px-7, e-mu e5000, microkorg xl, novation remote sl & an at2035 mic.

I'm hoping some outboard gear will add some character to my sounds, I do electronic music. And I'm also looking to start recording vocals, and doing
    sound design stuff. I already feel sold on the lunchbox and little devil mic pre. But should I get an outboard eq and compressor? Or spend that money
    on a software plug-in bundle? Any recommendations? Would the plug-in bundle give the color and character I'm looking for? Do I even need two little devil pre's!?

So many options...

2. dj2

dj2 Active Member

Decided to trade in my RME babyface and get a UA Apollo along with the little devil mic pre.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Cool,thumb

please let us know how you like them?

4. pan60

pan60 Active Member

cool!
    for the record, i am a big 500 format fan so i will almost always answer get the lunchbox: )~

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hey Pan, Chris here. howdy

Care to share why you love 500 series ?

6. pan60

pan60 Active Member

i think the 500 format is a perfect fit for the professional as well a the smaller project studios.
    since myself and some other really started to promote the format some years back we have seen a hugh onslaught of manufactures come aboard with some amazing gear!
    pres , comp, and eqs of all types and flavors.
    if one has a small studio set up you can get a lot of gear in a relatively small space as compared to say the typical 19'' rack system.
    several companies make rack and lunchboxs as well as power supplies.
    and more to come!