This is a poll for EQ plugins

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by engineer971, Jan 29, 2011.

?

Which EQ do you like best out of these?

1. Bomb Factory Eq's from Avid

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Nomad Factory BT-PEQ322

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nomad Factory Analog channel SC-226

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Waves C2,4 & 6

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. engineer971

engineer971 Active Member

I have 4 basic EQ plugins; Bomb Factory EQ, Waves Renaisance EQ, Nomad Factory BT-PEQ322-3, and a Nomad Factory Studio Channel SC-226. I still like the Bomb Factory best. What do you like?

2. beatzproducer

beatzproducer Member

I really like the waves renaissance eq, it is probably just because that is what i am used to using though!

3. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

None, I use BrainWorx, Nuendo's and mostly UAD's NEVE, SSL, Harrison, Pultec, Helios, Trident & Manley Massive Passive plugs, if I am working itb.
    Those are hard to beat and still have deficiencies compared to my hardware EQs. ( I own Waves Mercury, though ).

4. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

FabFilter Pro-Q

:cool:

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

You always have an interesting reason, why do you like these so much?

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I stopped using Waves after I tossed pro tools in the closet. I was pretty big on them before I took the hybrid road. Never found them any better than the rest. Maybe its all changed?

7. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Ergonomics mostly. EQ is probably the most used tool in a typical studio, so its important to be able to get results quickly and easily... after using Pro-Q everything else seems clunky and slow by comparison.

Eg: want a peaking band? Click the graph and drag one in. Want a low or high shelf? Drag it in from the left or right respectively. Want a high-pass filter? Double click to the left. Want to grab all 24 bands and drag them around together? No problem, just marquee them all and drag one band. Want to tweak left and right independently? Click the cut symbol to split a stereo band into separate left and right bands, or mid and side if in MS mode. Wondering if linear phase would sound better? Simply switch mode.

And it looks gorgeous as well...

Obviously none of that would matter if the quality wasn't good. Fortunately its excellent; the FabFilter devs really know what they are doing when it comes to digital filter design: bands can be set as high as 30KHz even when running a samplerate of 44.1 or 48KHz, and there is no "cramping" out of shape above 10K as in many digital EQs.

I should probably declare my connection with the company: I make video tutorials for them. But you don't have to take my word for it: try the 30 day demo and see what I mean. (And if you want a 10% new customer discount, PM me your email!)

8. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I'm puzzled by this statement. Can you explain what it achieves?

9. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Well, being able to go above nyquist obviously doesn't achieve much, as by definition there will be nothing there! It allows a bit more flexibility when setting up Baxandall style boosts, but thats about it.

However, it does highlight the fact that Pro-Q can get close to nyquist without being distorted out of shape, and this is important in my opinion.

Here are some plots from the only one of the plugs listed in the poll that I own (which shall remain anonymous) running at 44.1KHz

20dB boost at 2KHz:
    anon2k.png

20dB boost at 10KHz:
    anon10k.png

and at 18KHz (the highest it will go)
    anon18k.png

By contrast, here are the Pro-Q versions:

2KHz:
    proq2k.png

10KHz:
    proq10k.png

18KHz:
    proq18k.png

And finally, right up at 30KHz:
    proq30k.png

10. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

My choice and best EQ I find on the market is Roger Nichols Digital - UNIQUEL-IZER - It's unique, sounds unique, it's dynamic, versatile and it's very quick to get good results out from it!

11. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Didn't they go out of business?

12. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

I suppose so, but their front page is on... and some of other pages on their website... sincerely I lost track about them... but thats really a shame 'cause their plugins and hardware is really good! The best I've seen... much better than waves and other major companies around there...

13. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

I have some of their plugs from before the Roger Nichols buyout, when they were called Elemental Audio Systems. The plugs were identical apart the gui colour and the stupid new names, ie: Uniquelizer used to be called Equium. I never bought that one, but I have Firium (the linear phase EQ). It uses a serial number copy protection system so I can still use it... but I hardly ever do since I got Pro-Q. ;)

14. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Since you are using ProTools, how much do you really like those compared to the Digi EQIII? I think that's one of the best PT standard plugins and to me it sets a pretty high bar for buying other EQ plugins. I admit, it doesn't really add any character. But it has a very nice, intuitive GUI and it does a great job for fixing specific EQ problems on a track. For color and character I have the UAD Neve 1073, the Pultec Pro, and the Manley Massive.

15. lambchop

lambchop Active Member

It's interesting that no one has mentioned the Sonnox EQ. I find that I use this one more than my other ITB EQ plugins. It's great for when you quickly want to make a bell curve, which I usually do when EQ'ing sax.

16. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I did a serious demo of the Sonnox when I was checking out their Reverb (which I bought). It was very nice, but I liked the interface of the EQ III better and I never got to the point where I was able to make effective use of the pattern variations. As I said, the EQ III makes me pretty picky about spending a couple hundred buck for a small upgrade (usually with a few minor drawbacks).

17. mdb

mdb Active Member

None of the mentioned. I like Logic's parametric plug-in and iZotope Alloy & Ozone 4. Why? Out of necessity because that's all I've used so far.

18. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

LOL, then it is time for ya to demo some of the heavies...

19. mdb

mdb Active Member

Do you have any suggestions for EQ plug-in demos? When I get my Trident S40 I'm going to try passing the audio through it and using it's analog EQ to see what it does. Its got to be better than what I'm currently using.

20. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

I love the Trident A-Range by Softube for sound sculpting. For repairing I use Logic's Linear EQ most of the time.