1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Thoughts on John Hardy Mic Pres

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by abraham, Jan 22, 2002.

1. abraham

abraham Guest

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these mic pres. I live in south Texas, where there is no way for me to be able to listen to high end mic pres. I rely on professionals opinions to help me make prudent purchasing decisions. Any input would help.
    Thanks Abraham

2. planet red

planet red Active Member

I've heard them a couple times and they're real clean, but not sterile sounding. I've read some posts by a couple well known engineers saying they have the 'size' of an api, but cleaner and letting thru a lot more transients. The times i've heard them, they were going to analog tape and for that purpose they rocked.

3. abraham

abraham Guest

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Something that I could use on a lot of sources but that does not sound cold. Has anyone used it to record to digital. Curious.
    Abraham

4. Melange

Melange Guest

Yes, I've used them quite a bit while recording to both analog and digital and I think they're great. The studio I use that has them has a four channel M-1 with the last two channels having the full transformer option. I'll use these on kick and snare with an API 550 eq after it. Very nice.

5. miketholen

miketholen Guest

a tad bit cold for me.

6. abraham

abraham Guest

What do you prefer, Mik?