1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Throw away your drum mics!

Discussion in 'Drums' started by therecordingart, Jul 8, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4637203.stm

I'm a little skeptical about this, but it's a neat concept.....tell me what you all think!

2. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. I'd be worried that you will only hear the shell's resonance, and not the stick attack, or the head's actual sound and harmonics. Also, what would a rim shot sound like? A wood block? :wink: .

The isolation benefits seem beneficial, but this would require very isolated drum mounting to eliminate crosstalk through the hardware (which would likely be accenuated with this type transducer IMO).

Also, once you attach it, you are stuck with that placement's particular sound w/o removing the head, and retuning before you even know what moving the transducer sounds like.

I'm thinking it would be like the difference between micing an acoustic with a nice condensor versus using a Piezo bridge saddle pickup. I know what sounds better, and I know which one has more isolation. More isolation does not automatically = better sound...

You also have the May micing system, too...

Could be cool, could sound like ass. Who knows?

Thanks for the link :cool:

3. therecordingart

I agree, my main concerns were exactly that. I mean...if these things rock I'd buy a nice house kit...maybe a 5 piece DW or Yamaha Custom and pretty much place the transducers to get a nice balanced sound. Not too much stick attack or boom. When the metal bands come in I'd have to EQ the hell out of the kick and toms anyway for the clicky sound or just send the audio through my trigggers.

The whole isolation factor is what is selling me right now. I have a small room that is really dead, but I still have issues with it. This seems to take the room out of the equation a little bit even though OH's still have to go up.

If the drummer was going to be doing rimshots I'd throw on a 57 or see how much comes into the OH's.

We'll see what happens with these over the next few months....the idea kicks ass, but a lot of bad ideas start out sounding really good.

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Why are they making a peizoelectric pickup sound like a new invention?

5. hmm... interesting... a piezo on a drum... they work everywhere else just about...

6. Randyman...

It is not a Piezo Crystal, but polypropylene! I'd like to hear an AE's opinion on these. The link stated "the sound is more natural than how a mic picks up through the air" or something. How could having your ear shoved against a piece of wood sound more natural than listening to the drum "through the air"? :shock:

:cool:

7. jamiey

jamiey Guest

For people to think it's a 'neat' idea and support it. Or the author just didn't know of it before. But anyways, how many products come out that claim to 'change the way someone does something'... it happens all the friggin time and almost everytime ends up simply BS. You'd think people would just wait until these 'innovations' have been time tested, but no, people need something new to goo goo gaa gaa over. That's just the nasty of technology in general IMHO, a bunch of bored people looking for something to be excited about - and it's only human :)

8. Piezoelectric pickups are also polypropelene. The difference in these is that they use air instead of crystals inside the charged polypropelene film. The principles are the same; its the same concept and technology except they use different materials in the transducer.

9. therecordingart

Like I said....I'm not sold until I hear them. Piezo's aren't new obviously....but this is the first time I've seen it in this application.

10. gumplunger

gumplunger Active Member

Should be interesting to hear if nothing else.

I'm hoping for the best.

11. Randyman...

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst :?

I'm still thiking the Acoustic Gtr Piezo analogy I mentioned above will hold true... I dunno

:cool:

12. tmcconnell

tmcconnell Guest

wow

This is like the "objective vs subjective" debate in audio. Is it a drum or is it a slicer-dicer? It sounds like it sounds. Its cool technology. If it sounds good do it. What I want to know is: What does it sound like? ted.

13. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

I can imagine these might be great for live work - where the air is still in the equation but the drums need reinforcement through the PA.

Although I guess you'd still need overheads for cymbals - maybe that's all the air you need in addition to these things.

14. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

I think everyone should use them

...i'll make a mint in comparison!! 8) :lol: :roll:

15. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

B-band has a great line of products and their acoustic guitar systems are really sweet. They sound wonderful. But this statement ("The sound is more natural than that obtained using microphones." ) is ridiculous.

Piezo's will never replace microphones in the studio.

Duh! :?

16. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Some 'unknown' by the name of Fleetwood was using this technology as far back as an album called "Rumours"....The blurb at the time was that they were using some kind of 'technology to record the shells of the drums with a pliable strip used in measurement of large vessels'.....same old same old.....and it really really works.

17. RecorderMan

Right you could be...you never know until you try..and doing things unconventionally sometimes yields the coolest things. Experimentation rules!

18. RecorderMan

P.S.

BTW don't throw away those drum mics.....send them to me!!

(I know , I know..but some one had to say it) :lol:

19. therecordingart

haha....my mics aren't going anywhere....even if I buy these new drum "mics" and they rock.

20. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i would have to say that i wouldnt mind puting a nice phaser inline into a 4x10 and 1 x18 ampeg bass amp setup for a live show. this could reviel some new interesting setups.

also letme say after reading this. this is not peizo it actualy sounds like it could be a new more sesitive capasitor based mic element.