1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Time to buy a portable digital recorder! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by roguescout, Mar 29, 2006.

1. roguescout

roguescout Guest

I can't seem to go wrong when I post at Recording.org for advice on new gear purchases. So here we go again!

I am ready to buy a standalone portable digital recorder for ENG, sound effects/walla capturing for film, quick and dirty concert/practice recordings and other field work.

Budget: Less than $1000.

I have been considering these:

M-Audio Microtrack 24/96
    Sound Pros GigaTracker
    Marantz PMD671 w/RC600 remote
    Tascam HDP2

Right now, I am leaning towards the Marantz. But does anyone know if they have improved the preamps at all? I heard they were kinda noisy for SFX but were decent for ENG/interviews.

The Sound Pro kit looks pretty nice, but I know nothing about it. Anyone use their recorders? How are they?

Feel free to express the pros/cons of any of this gear or any other possible solutions I may have missed.

Thanks a lot everyone!! :cool:
  2. Antho

Antho Guest

Hi. I heard some recordings recently of some Peluso CEMc6 mics thru an Edirol recorder called the R4 . Now I don't usually go to Edirol for sound, but these recordings sounded absolutely fantastic. Try this link: http://

go to each recording link, and make sure its the r4 he used. There's also the R1 which is a less endowed device.

Good luck.