1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tips for sickly Macs

Discussion in 'Computing' started by TheJackAttack, Oct 31, 2010.

1. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Though some would have it otherwise, Macs do sometimes experience issues. I am not a Mac user for too many years to help much at all so I am compiling tips together from some recent posts. I will likely add to this list as I catch helpful hints.

2. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

In Disk Utility - Repair Permissions on drives. This should be done every month.

Its also advisable for admin machines to use Diskwarrior - the small purchase cost far outweighs the trouble that can come from not pre-emptively checking hard drives. YMMV using it on an audio machine but I see no reason not to, and do.

3. joh6

joh6 Active Member

Ok just to be clear before i attempt this does this just clear that little bit of start up stuff or the whole drive

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Clearing the P-RAM just clears a few of the start-up parameters from the RAM. It's completely safe for your drive(s).

If you're having difficulties, there are a number of key combinations that will let you start up in different modes.

5. bart_R

bart_R Active Member

My 11 month old MBP 13" has 236 Battery cycles on it. Should I be worried? My Girlfriends 2 year old MBP only had 186 and last week the battery began swelling. It was replaced by Apple FOC.

6. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Apparently using dual monitors was crashing a Mac at a friend's studio. Going back to one monitor fixed it.

7. bart_R

bart_R Active Member

Should a MBP be kept plugged in or unplugged once charged?

8. TheJackAttack

BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide

There is nothing inherently different in Apple hardware from other computers. The link above will give you the battery guidelines you need.

9. bart_R

bart_R Active Member

Thanks for providing that TheJackAttack.

10. Ryan Edward

Ryan Edward Active Member

That is one thing I like about windows based laptops, the ability to swap batteries as and when desired rather than paying a lot of $$$$$ for Apple to do it.

11. Al_Weeks

Al_Weeks Active Member

The New MBP has about 5 batteries instead of just one.

12. TheJackAttack

That isn't true. It may have 5 cells in the single battery but that does not equal 5 batteries. There is not physical room for 5 batteries in a MBP.

Even if it did have multiple batteries like MANY non Apple laptops are capable of, that does not change how to properly maintain the batteries.

13. Al_Weeks

Al_Weeks Active Member

The photo I saw showed 5 small batteries in a configuration toward the front of the unit.

14. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

One battery with 6 cells glued to the case.

The teardown MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Mid 2012 Teardown - iFixit

15. TheJackAttack

16. oynaz

oynaz Active Member

With the correct screwdriver, it is quite easy to change the battery yourself on most Macs.