Tips on guitar cabinet micing

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by audiokid, Apr 24, 2017.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    I've been experimenting on this record I'm doing with a modern punk rock band layering lots of hi gain guitars and I've found that when I want the foundation to sound big both mics work great, when I want a particular part to stand out a single mic works better, I do record both mics and decide later ...
    Speaking of mic choices I'm using a Lewitt MTP 440 DM and an AKG D40, most of the time, sometimes I use two of each or mix 'em, IMO they sound so much better than a 57 it's night and day on my setup, I tried a bunch of different dynamic mics and ended up with these, the e906 is another one I really like.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

421's or 57's (L/R right up on the grill) with an 87 type LD in cardioid 3 or 4 feet in front on 1/2 stacks or other closed backed "twin" type cabs. same with an open back only put the LD in fig 8 and place it side wise about a foot behind the amp. it would be cool to have 3 87's (wouldn't these be nice?) ...... lol. on a single speaker like a tweed or deluxe, mic the center with one mic and and the edge of the speaker with the other and the 87 in back. always check for mono compatibility and move the mics around until it's all in phase (most bass in mono). with those basic tracks you can take it anywhere.

Mario-C. likes this.