1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

to shield or not to shield????

Discussion in 'Recording' started by reves, Mar 25, 2005.

1. reves

reves Guest

I'm a little confused about the shielding/non shield issue.. I'm receiving bad radio interference from radio station(NPR) through my powered studio monitors..Could it be my cables?? I do have some flourescent lighting in the room...Could this be part of the problem??? Thanks.....

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

yes it can

Powered monitors have a line level input and then add current and perhaps a little gain to the speaker drivers.

Is this radio station getting into the speakers even when the mixing desk is not connected ?

If you have XL inputs on both speakers and mixing desk then use a balanced shielded cable.

If all you have is RCA's then use a sheilded RCA to RCA cable.

A simple speaker style Fig 8 cable is not what you want here.

hope that helps a little

3. dpd

dpd Active Member

this one is a tough nut to crack. I would start at the beginning of your signal chain (where the signal levels are the lowest) and try to isolate the noises there. mic cables, bad (dirty) connections, poorly-grounded, ungrounded, and/or shielded electronics, bad (intermittent) cables.

I have a 17.5 KW FM transmitter whose antenna is ~750 feet from my studio . All our studios (including our performance/recording space) are totally enclosed with copper mesh screen. Without it, RFI gets into everything.

Also, some equipment just won't work in high RF fields. And, the more balanced I/Os you use, the less noise you'll have.

It's detective work - good luck!