1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tom Dowd interview

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by Boswell, May 2, 2014.

1. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/re_p_files_an_interview_with_legendary_engineer_producer_tom_dowd/ an inteview in ProSoundWeb with the legendary Tom Dowd, producer of Eric Clapton and other mega artists and groups. He makes some very interesting general points, and there is considerable detail about the recording of Layla.

It's a pain that it's strung out over 14 internet pages.

2. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

Click the 'print' link just above the article and you'll get a version in your browser that's all on one page.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

what a great read .. thanks Bos

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

An amazing guy. Incredibly intelligent.

Many don't know that before he became involved in the music biz, he was involved in The Manhattan Project, helping to build the A-Bomb.

After the war, and after his military service had ended ( he was a Sgt. in the Army), his intention was to get a degree in nuclear physics, but because his work on The Manhattan Project was so top secret, he couldn't use that experience with the universities he was applying to, and also, because he already knew more than what any of the universities could have taught him about the subject at the time.

I for one am happy that he chose a career in music instead. If he'd have gone on to be a nuclear physicist, think of all the great music he ended up being a part of that we would have missed. ;)

kmetal likes this.
  6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What a great interview.
    I loved the sand in the Oyster makes a pearl, comment. Its so important to have spontaneous reactions amongst the musician. That's how we all grew up. I never owned a multitrack until well into my career.
    How many Saturday matinee jams did we take part in? I can't count them.
    And solo's, regardless of whether it was written in the music, I made sure I did my thing in a solo. I figured, if I was going to become a musician, not a Jukebox, I better learn to be able to improvise and drop sand into a session.

Today, even though I track one at a time, I always try and play my guitar through a finished production. It helps.