1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Too many SM57's!!! D2 a good option?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by therecordingart, Jan 31, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I mic my snare and toms with SM57's....then my guitar amps get mic'd with SM57's. I'm thinking I should start using D2's on my toms instead of 57's. Has anyone tried both? Which do you prefer?

2. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

D2s work better for me. They are just punchier with a little more smack.

3. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I like the D-2's pattern better, too (Hyper Cardiod if memory serves me). Also, with a 90* XLR connector, the D-2's are MUCH easier to position pointing "down at the head" than an SM-57 that is 8" - 9" long.

You gotta have a few 57's on hand for Snare Batter side and the occasional Guitar Cab mic IMO :)

:cool:

4. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

The D2 would certainly work better on toms than a 57.

Chris

5. sproll

sproll Active Member

D2's kick butt, especially for rack toms. If you want a little more low end on the floor toms, try a D4.

6. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to pick up 3- D2's for now and if a drummer brings in a giant kit I can always fill in the blanks with 57's.

7. stickers

stickers Active Member

The audix dp5 drum kick is a great deal @ $650. Comes with a D1, (2) d2, D4, and a D6. the kit also includes 4 vise grips that work flawlessly.

8. klauth

klauth Guest

I use D 1's, 2's as well as 4's on my various toms and like them all. but as for snare.... a Beta 56 has replaced my sm 57's, top and bottom. they just sound "hotter" and more "in your face"....my 2 cents.....

9. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

i use d2 on racks and d4 on floor tom!
    u should buy 2 d2 and one d4 instead of 3 d2

10. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

hey inloco- hadn't seen you in a while- how you been!

11. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

hey xavier! been busy with my band reharsals and on my studio! just bought some neutrik and cable...
    in my house where i have the studio i don't have internet so that explains a bit my absence!

i'm probably gonna start recording a portuguese girl that has an amazing voice and great songs... kind of like any difranco... so i'm looking forward to it!

12. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

cool- I just got some mogami cables myself yesterday... lets see if they make any difference from the cheap ass cables I was using all along...