1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Total noob question regarding soundcard/interface

Discussion in 'Recording' started by stickshrapnel, Oct 17, 2011.

1. stickshrapnel

stickshrapnel Active Member

:redface: Ok, so this is probably a real stupid question, but in searching forums, and the net, I haven't found the definitive answer. Is an interface "the" sound-card, generating/translating audio to/from sources, plug-ins, midi instruments, etc., or do I still need to install an audio/sound-card (would definitely bypass on-board sound) in my PC? Also,... what exactly are the UAD cards all about, are they cards that contain plug-ins, and the like, right on the chips themselves, eliminating the need to install software? I'm not mental,...:confused: I don't think,... but I am a bit confused about some things that I need to iron out before I start buying and building. Thanks.

2. sachit

sachit Active Member

An audio interface is an external soundcard. It'll have a bunch of ins and outs. It does the analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion for them. The audio input from the interface goes to your software, and you record your music in the software. Some interfaces also do MIDI I/O and DSP effects but that isn't part of the definition of an audio interface. An audio interface basically replaces a soundcard.

The UAD cards aren't soundcards. I don't know too much about them, I think they're basically DSP cards.

3. stickshrapnel

stickshrapnel Active Member

Ok, thanks sachit, that helps a lot. That's what I was thinking. Now onto getting the gear.