1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

TOTO sound???

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mihau, Feb 21, 2002.

1. mihau

mihau Guest

hi!

My friend came to me and ask me, if I would produce him an album.

His reference is TOTO!

So in next few weeks I'll have to produce TOTO sound... :)

Please help me out with some ideas how is that music mixed and what kind of recording equipment is used.

I think it is mostly tape.. and live instruments... I am wondering it is possible to achive 80% of that live sound with good samples (ofcourse not for the base guitar or acustic guitar) but maybe drums..hmm? Couse I really dont think I will have the budget and time to record that kind of drums...

p.s. if anybody knows the enginerr who was there with TOTO dont hesitate to conntact me :)

take care, M.U.

2. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

Which Toto? Early 80's(Rosanna, Africa) or late 80's-early 90's Toto? Just get the best studio players in your country and make a band!!! Basically that was Toto in a nutshell. They had a lot of great engineers at different times. George Massenburg did one of their albums(it was one of their last one's). I think Elliot Scheiner did a couple(I could be wrong on this one) and also Al Schmidt. I liked the early Toto best(to me the songs were better), but at that time they were one of the most ripped apart bands(they were a rock critics dream band to rip, everything wrong with pop/rock they said. Too mechanical, too perfect. Sounds like they were describing Protools to me). They inspired a slew of studio player type bands(Mr. Mister, Level 42, and others). Good luck on this one...you will need it.

3. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Love TOTO, I know that the keyboards are combinations of analog synths and samplers used together, Like a Roland sampler for the initial attack and an Oberhiem to carry the tone. Don't know if a sample will give the same effect on it's own, maybe a sound font will.
    --Rick