Tracking Cello

Discussion in 'Strings' started by aaronwaudio, May 25, 2011.

1. aaronwaudio

aaronwaudio Active Member

Tracking Cello

I have two ladies coming into the studio soon that play two cellos (usually one bowing and one strumming or pizzicato-ing). I have read a bit about how to effectively track cello, but i would love some input on mic placement, basic eq ranges and whatnot to expand my options. My studio has a large stage area with big stained glass windows that have curtains that can be opened or closed, as well as a smaller room that would just barely comfortably fit a band of 5 for a rehearsal or live recording. I can get a hold of lots of different types of mics, so feel free to throw out suggestions. Thanks!

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I have used U87 pointed to the lower body (the instrument had a nice bump at 300 hz there) about 3 ft away. I mixed that with 2 earthworks QTC50's in a XY config about 2 feet from the bridge. All mic went through my Lucid pre into a Mackie SDR as the ADC and ADAT input into a Lynx L22 card into Nuendo 3.0. The sound was flattering in the body and the attack but the musician felt it sounded accurate and three dimensional. I have also had some success with ribbons for the body.

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Active Member

I envy you -- doing cellos it always very fun. They are cool instruments and actually hard to make them sound bad.

My clients have been pretty happy ( I have done cello duet twice ) so I will share my personal belief:

dont get too close with your x/y pair, I know you will want to, but resist - 4 feet is better than 3 feet, even though the books all say 2-3 feet.
    give them some room to complete themselves , and let the room sing with them
    put another mic about 10 feet out, decide at mix time whether it helps or hurts.
    DONT eq them during tracking -- odds are you will regret that.

4. aaronwaudio

Thanks for the help guys, can't wait to get started. Going to one of their shows tonight to hear their music for the first time.

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Glad you fixed the typo. I had this vision of someone on a floating cello sailing into a stiff wind.

6. aaronwaudio

Yeah is there a way to change the name of the thread? I have a little OCD about stuff like that. I keep imagining hammering tacks into a cello.

*Fixed it.