1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

tracking metal vocalists

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by audiogurru, Mar 8, 2005.

1. audiogurru

audiogurru Guest

anyone have any advice or helpful tips on tracking metal vocalists?
  2. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

Dec 11, 2004

I like to put them through a tube pre and saturate the pre and then compress them to get them to sit in the mix, after all it isn't a very dynamic genre. So compressed and properly mixed is the way I would go, Plus depending on the mic selection you have I would try some nice dynamic mics, I've been using them more and more these days.

Plus if you are looking to do overdub screams, you could always get a green bullet (or like) and then run it hot into a tube pre and compressor and get a nice filtered saturated scream sound. You should check one out, very neat mics, I've tried using them as drum room mics too.

3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    I feel you will and can get awesome metal tracks, fairly easy. However I was curious how much money you want to throw down?
    My vocal tracks used to sound like ass. Then I threw down some cash and WOW!
    Glad I did!
    I'm saying somewhere around $100-$200 on a mic. (no more)
    A decent preamp--- cheap ass ones are exactaly that, so get something that you can afford and that if you want to resell it to get your money back, you will get 80%, maybe more!
    Lastly you NEED a effects processor! Mostly for reverb! And I like delay also. We can talk more about cost friendly effects processors. Or if you are going to spend $$$$ there are many awesome ones out there!
    I get great results with these 3 things alone (mic, pre, effects)