tracking or mixing Compressors/limiters

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Jbrax, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

Which tracking or mixing comp/limiters are out there that can still be had at a decent price . That have good performance and cool character to them.

2. drstudio

drstudio Active Member

What do you consider decent pricing?

I love the Imperical Labs Distressor. I think it was around 1700 when I bought mine.

3. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

Im thinking of the gear possibly long forgotten

or put on the back burner because everyone is is looking at the new gear or the vintage urie's or UA's

Eveyone seems to be caught up in this gear.. there has to be some sleeper gear out there..

4. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

DBX 162 - still in use on our PA setup in the warehouse.

Still have a 160 in studio, a couple of us still throw it on tracks when the mood hits us.

5. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

Is there anymore more

6. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

7. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

For cheaper gems, these come to mind:

Ashley SC-50
    MXR Dual Limiter
    MXR Mini Limiter
    Joe Meek compressor any model
    dbx 160X, 160A
    Aphex Compeller

8. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

1) The Symetrix 501 is a great compressor that uses an independent peak limiter circuit. This means that the compressor's VCA won't "overshoot" when the box gets driven into limiting. Great headroom, built like a tank. I have EIGHT of these, and I don't think that I paid more than $100 apiece off of e-Bay. A true gem.

2) Valley Audio (formerly Valley People) Dyna-Mite. This is a 2-channel comp/gate, no longer made. It is a very musical, clean piece, easily beats anything else that LOOKS like it hands-down. These don't come easy or cheap. The folks that own one tend to keep them.

3) Smith&Wesson .38 Special. Hold one of these to ANY drummers' head and INSTANTLY get a more consistent snare "crack". Guaranteed !

9. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

GREAT stuff.

Even cheaper - DBX 166XL, DBX 160A,

10. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

DAMN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

These are the replys I was looking for, the diamond in the middle of the pile of rocks...

12. drstudio

drstudio Active Member

Forgot about the Valley stuff.

I used too use the 610 all the time. Pretty cool for some stuff like snares and kick

13. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I did a great rock-and-roll recording for a friend and utilized almost all DBX166's. Perfectly wonderful. Perfectly adequate. Perfectly affordable. I've got the good stuff myself but I will use whatever is put before me, like his project control room. You can't go wrong with those things. And, it includes a gate! Very handy. You'll love it on drums and other applications. Not a downward expander mind you so it will sound like crap on a vocal because you don't want to gate a vocal. You merely want to duck or add a little bit of preset downward expansion of approximately 6 to 15 DB, instead of cutting the microphone off on a vocal. That sounds just awful. But on a snare drum or bass drum, now you're cooking gas!

I have too much gas.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

14. Jbrax

Jbrax Guest

Thanks everyone for there input.. Now its time to pick and choose..You guys( Gals) are Great have a Great New Year!!!!

15. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

No one has mentioned the Presonus line, 2 channel ACP-22, or the 8 channel ACP88.
    They use the THAT "Blackmer" VCAs, sorry, no coloration on these, but if you want clean compression, and a very decent gate, the ACP22 goes for under $200 used.

16. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Oh yeah....and Aphex stuff is pretty damn nice and a song used.

17. RemyRAD

DOH!! I forgot to mention THAT (is made by the former owner of DBX) so it should be up to the task. Beringer makes a couple of reasonable sounding DBX like imitation compressors which don't sound bad. They're cheap and easy like I am. If you don't think they're up to the task, maybe you should C Alice?

C Alice's restaurant
    Ms. Remy Ann David

18. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

1. Yes. The 525 isnt that bad either though it isnt a 501......The older ones are the better ones BTW.....I WILL NOT tell you how to identify one of them......so there. :p

2. Its obvious to me that DaMoon and I shop at the same store.

3. The drummer these days are quicker than they used to be. Ya gotta take a moment to draw a bead on em.....

4. Gaff mentioned a couple. The Aphex stuff is outstanding gear. Do not be confused that it doesnt hold its resale. The Compellor is compression for those who really know what they want. The Expressor takes a bit of diddling to get it right, but when it is right, ya got a crapload of high quality gain with so much control you wonder whats wrong with this picture and start looking for a bad cable or something....(JEEZ that works too well!!!)

5. The compressor in your Eureka preamp. Unbelievable aint it.

6. Furman sound. The MadCow wont let me remember that stupid compressors' model name.....Again...high-end VCA's built for jambands in the Bay.

And THEN theres the ultimate vocal compression. A mono 1/4 recorder used as an insert across the vocal track. ( Roberts is a good name to drop here :wink: ) Make sure it has tubes, and an input and output knob. You dont need tape.....just in case you were gonna ask.

19. RemyRAD

No tape?? Where's the beef?

I have an E. J. Lesher half track stereo tube machine from 1956. Manufactured in Ann Arbor Michigan. One of those little-known independent recorder manufacturers. I think he was a professor of EE, at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor? That should do the job, if it were for sale. It's a family heirloom. Bias' up just fine to Scotch 206. At least it did last in 1987.

Anyone interested in my Ampex AG 354 stereo germanium transistor machine?

Living in the past
    Ms. Remy Ann David

20. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Gaff also mentioned the Ashly SC-50. There are different versions of this puppy, too. Earlier models used a discrete VCA, and are easily identified by the large purple polka-dot in the middle of the control panel :wink:
    The 2-channel SC-52 is cool, too, and you can parallel one channel into the other to absolutely CRUSH the program. Kinda like a "poor man's Distressor". BTW, Gaff, thanks for raising the demand for these babies :lol:
    Finally...The Shure Level-Loc. This piece of audio processing was designed to keep the level of a podium mic within a selected "window".
    It had a mic pre taken from the M67 mixer, run through some sort of gain element (opto, I'm guessing from the lack of speed), and then spit out an XLR mic-level output. But not before it was spanked, pounded, and pumped into submission. I used to use one of these with this hideously gawdy GOLD E-V 666 dynamic mic plugged into it as a room mic. In fact, it was one of my first "pro audio" rigs I had before I could drive. That and a Voice of Music tape recorder with the "magic eye" level meter. I miss them all, RIP.