1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

trapped by MOTU?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by saemskin, Feb 17, 2006.

1. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

Sitting here annoyed by my latest and greatest problem with my MOTU 828 MKII, and trying in vain to think of an alternative solution to my needs. I feel backed into a corner.
    What other company offers that amount of connectivity in their price range? RME? theirs is twice the price.

I'm looking for a solution and the only other company's that offer
    :
    at least 5 analog stereo pairs
    spdif
    adat
    wordclock
    midi
    :
    is MOTU??!?!
    It's lonely here in the corner. Someone please come over here and let me out.

2. Lerxst

Lerxst Guest

I'm not sure about RME but I usaully only hear good thing about their product. I hace two MOTU's daisy chained together, and they give me the needed realtime inputs your talking about.

I think the MOTU stuff is a good value - I mean I'm happy with what I can get out of the units, especially for the price.

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

20+ inputs in a single rack mount unit? Aside from Motu, it doesn't exist.

4. Derm

Derm Guest

Like you say RME's Fireface has it all, but more expensive.I read recently about a new one called Hercules ? It had a lot of connections, maybe do a search

5. tranqs

tranqs Guest

M-audio FW1814.... with this interface you'll have 18 inputs and 14 outputs.....It's compatible with pro tools!!!!

6. gilligan204

gilligan204 Guest

saemskin

maybe you can elborate on what exactly is your problem, I used to run a MOTU 24 I/O and a 2408 MK3 daisy chained , and I never had any issues.

7. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

I just sold my second 828MKII on ebay, the one I kept is buzzing out the left speaker output, but thats another problem.

When I had both I connected them just as the manual says. They wont sync. I tried. They were connected properly but I could clock (for example) off of unit #1's internal clock, but then unit 2 is out of sync and all audio is garbled. I tried spdif & adat optical as clock sources also, but any time I clock off of one units signal, the other is out of sync.

The problem is that there is only one global clock selection which works for one unit but never the other.

If I'm doing something wrong please tell me, as I would much rather just buy another 828 MKII and be done with all this madness.
    Really irritating.

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

hi

Apogee has just released cool interfaces. Have ya seen them already?

9. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

I am salivating over the Apogee Ensemble, but be aware they are currently Mac only.

8)