1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Trent Reznor releases new single in GarageBand format.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JohnPaulTaylorII, Apr 16, 2005.

1. "The Hand that Feeds"

The above URL contains a link to Trent Reznor's new single in GarageBand format. If you have a mac and want to give remixing a shot, the file is 70MB.

From the readme:

2. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

That is pretty f'in cool IMO. I always liked Trent / NIN, and how he approached production for his style of music. I feel a new trend coming on, no?

:cool:

3. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

That is friggin cool of him. Dang me for not having a Mac or Garageband! Do you think it is possible to extract the raw wav files and import into Cubase or Acid or something?

4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Not sure you can find a PC utility that can extract the file.

On a mac it extracts, and mounts a RAM disk that contains the files.
    Once it mounts you can see the contents.

The Apple loops are .aif files with extra meta-tags describing tempo, and key. (Apple hired the software team that created Acid)

So if you can find a utility that can deal with .dmg, you could be in luck.

Google Stuffit Expander, there is a PC version.

8)

5. Drizzt

Drizzt Guest

I spent a good part of the day trying out several methods of getting this to work. As far as I can tell a .dmg is a Disk Image. Well i tried several tools that can read .dmg images but none have been very successful. If anyone else has some luck then please share.

6. David French

David French Well-Known Member

This freeware command line utility will convert DMG to ISO.

I'd like to point out that the original poster is none other than my 'real life' cousin. :) Thanks for the great tip, Johnny!

7. Drizzt

Drizzt Guest

Well i can try it on my home pc but on my work PC the program would crash any time i tried to do the conversion :(

Well i tried it agian and i stil lcrashed right as it starts to decompress the file. IF anyone has any better luck please let us know.

8. David French

The program has worked fine for me. Keep in mind that the .dmg from the NIN website most definitely uses the OSX file system and won't be readable on a PC.

9. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

very interesting stuff

I wonder if others will do this sort of thing in the future ...

Someone with a Mac can make a conversion for you. I just can't move 70 meg in and out of my net access ... I'm on slooooow net ... :(

10. Drizzt

Drizzt Guest

Well, I asked a mac user at work to see if they could help me out and of course they don't have the latest version of garageband :evil:

Hopefully they will be able to procure 2.0 and rido the audio and midi out for me to be able to play with it.....Damn Reznor....

OK, so no I have resorted to emulating OS X on my PC. lets see how this turns out...

11. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

This is maybe the greatest composition ever:

http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=147576

:lol:

12. David French

Good for a laugh, but it didn't take any finesse to make those two work together. Don't you just love non-modulating compositions?

Thanks Reggie. :)

13. Drizzt

Drizzt Guest

I am actually contemplating purchasing a mac just to work on a remix....

14. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully you will find some other things to use it for afterwards. I hear those things are expensive. Except for the little Zip drive-lookin ones.