1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

trouble getting my vocals to stand out over the beat

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by singeryadig, May 19, 2011.

1. singeryadig

singeryadig Active Member

Hey I'm recording my vocals over instrumentals that were imported in such a way that the whole beat is on 1 track (so its a lot harder to manipulate)

I'm having trouble getting my vocals to stand out over the beat--Could this in anyway be tied to not having the ability to EQ/ Compress EACH instrument of the beat--instead having to EQ/compress the whole thing and the settings affect every sound of the beat?

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

That could be a factor, but if you could post an example to Soundcloud (or someplace like that) we can give you a lot better advice.

Also please tell us how you're recording your vocal - what mic, what pre-amp (if any), what interface or recorder, what effects hardware or plugins you're using - and describe the room you're recording in.

3. singeryadig

Yeah idk how I forgot about that--I gotta iMac OS X, ProTools 8 le, MBox Mini, and a MXL Genesis Mic--I dont have any pre amps for the mic but the MXL did come with a red power box (i'm not sure if thats a preamp?) and im using audio technica headphones till i get monitors

I am in an average sized bedroom with no real studio type padded walls/ but I'm not hearing any echoing or the mic picking up any random outside sounds--

thanks

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Are the beats you're buying professionally produced, semi-pro, or homegrown?
    Any chance you could put a short sample up on Soundcloud? (with or without the vocals)

5. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

A clip would help. More than likely it could be recorded better. It is always easier for something to stand out in a mix when they are properly recorded, post-EQ could be killing it as well.

6. singeryadig

There basically beats random ppl online that made beats--you can download em for free as long as you dont attempt to profit off of them.

I dont have my monitors yet so I'm listening through headphones. I could try to record what I'm seeing with my camera but idk if the sound quality that that'll replicate would help