1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

True Analog Synthesizers

Discussion in 'Recording' started by try2break, Mar 4, 2001.

1. try2break

try2break Guest

Is anyone in here an Analog Modular Synth fan?
    I will be buying one soon and have decided on one by Synthesizers.com. If you haven't seen them, check them out. They model their modules after Moog's but the prices are way more reasonable.

Another neat little thing I found recently is this: http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_mm1.html

It's a normaled mini patchable modular. It uses 3.5mm miniplugs for the patch cables.

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

If you're into DIY electronics, check out the PAIA stuff. I think Bob Moog might be making analog synths again for Big Briar. I don't for a second trust the new breed analog synths from the big boys, though. All the presets are tweezy club music crap.

I'm kind of curious about that Reaktor software, myself. It looks like I could mix the freakiest elements of the ARP 2600 and K-2000 at whim. (I reference those two because I've done some time with each, and they each have some unique capabilities.) Haven't looked hard at it, but it looks at least fun and probably at least somewhat useful.

da Bear

3. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

Interesting looking synth and pretty darn inexpensive. I really like the flexibility of a modular system...my favorite was the Oberheim Matrix-12/Xpander. You could route any control source to any control input and basically, everything had a control input. The only problem was, nothing was normalled so you always had to set up ENV1 to AMP EG (if you wanted to). This Minimodular thing looks like it has the "common" routings normalled so its easy to get started.

Heh, I LOVE that back panel...power and output...nothing else.

Very cool looking beast, let us know what you think once you get it.

4. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

In the 70's, we used the mini-moog,& moog satellite. In the 80's it was JXP-8, Oberhiem,& DX-7, in combination with samplers. Today, it can be decieving in how manufacturing company's describe the contents of their modules. "SYNTH", should not be used, if the module is a bunch of sample proms. Anybody remember "switched on Bach"?. Such glorious color. Such a wonderful range, and great keyboard solo sounds, "who's that Lady?", Yes, Floyd, "Saucer full of secrets", and of course, "Frankenstein", Edgar Winter, and Gino Vanelli, also, Gary Wright.
    Sorry for the babble, now you know..I am old!
    But still doin & diggin it.

Rick
    :cool:

5. Nate Tschetter

Aye Rick...how about the stuff Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Jow Zawinul, et al did back in the '70s. Certainly, they didn't care how much ROM the piano sample used...heh.

I'm a much bigger fan of using synths for musical FUNCTION versus IMITATION of "real" instruments. So I'm with you on he sample playback thingy.

Heh...let's just call those things "tone modules".

6. Bear's Gone Fission

Then again the Kurzweil K-2X00 series are samplers, if you're strictly talking about the starting points. Never liked the presets on the K-2000 much, espescially when they were designed to emulate real instruments, but I always ended up mangling the heck out of the sample roots and coming up with something very new. It's kind of like starting off a Moog with a more complex waveform, in some ways. Too bad Gibson ate Opcode, Galaxy was a nice editor.

BTW, any hardcore samplers out there catch that Nike comercial with all the basketball court noises? I was pretty impressed with the job they did on utilizing the sounds. That's the power of straight samplers, to harness what isn't inherently musical and bring it into the fold. Damn, I want some toys to play with again. :)

da Bear

7. Whats good about samplers is that you can sample modular analog synth's heh heh heh...:)

8. Nate Tschetter

You can sample the SOUND but you can't sample the FUNCTION. Not can you sample the OPERATOR.

9. Something that maybe of interest, or at least caught my eye is the analog solutions tri-tone 24 mini modular. Im thinking of getting one... What makes it unique is its 3 osc not unlike the mini you know what(though I doubt it sounds the same). http://www.analogsolutions.com

The evenfall also looks beutiful...I'd just love one of those as well...Come to think of it I'd love 2 of those:)

Ive got to say, Ive always shrugged off analog with digital models coming so close...but I just picked up a doepfer ms 404..a very simple 1 osc deal, and now its some gateway drug. Since then Ive been on ebay pissing away my savings Yeee Hawwwww! The sampler is cool, because I can make certain sounds and sample them to use as percussion.

10. noise

noise Guest

I'm a fan of analog synths. In my studio, there are a Waldorf Pulse, SynthTech MOTM, and an Alesis A6.

I used to have a Nord Modular, but I hated the computer interface... I suppose I got spoiled by the MOTM. It was traded for a Waldorf Microwave IIXT.

Of course, that's not to say I don't have a fondness for other sythesis toys: there's a sampler and a pair of ROMpler drum machines all competing for attention.

And yes, that Nike commercial was sweet.

11. pan

pan Guest

Nate, you were talking about the MODULATOR?

Any MS 20-fans out there?

12. Traumakind

Traumakind Guest

Hi!
    Now I am real analog fan!
    I started out with a virtual analog JP 8000, which I still use for pads, strings and subbasses. But real analog bass cannot be emulated. Especially if you run it through a H&K Tubefactor or mic your Marshall.
    I love the Roland Stuff, owning the SH2000 and SH02 and I`ve got an Yamaha CS-01, A nasty little strap-on beast wonderful for leads.
    The only problem is: once you buy one old synth, you want MORE!
    Cheers,
    Stefan

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I loved the old Juno 106. :(

I like the Nord Lead though, and The Virus is a really cool plug-in.

I used to own an ARP Avatar, still have the stand lol! The bass that came out of that tracking piece of $*^t was awesome.

regards,

audiokid

14. Bear's Gone Fission

Damn, isn't the Avatar the abomination that sank ARP? Even the Edsel didn't sink Ford.

Bear

15. So, has anyone played with the Andromeda? That would be a perfect compliment to my mks 80 super jupiter and micro Q.

16. Nate Tschetter

Oh man Chris, that thing's the Ouija board of guitar synths.

I was in a friend's car the other day and he was listening to the most recent Pat Metheny album. Is Pat STILL playing the GR300? He had that EXACT sound.

17. noise

noise Guest

Originally posted by mr. rob:
    So, has anyone played with the Andromeda?
    As I mentioned, I have. Do you have any specific questions?

18. try2break

try2break Guest

I played the Andromeda at GC when it first came out. It is not a traditional analog synth. It might be good for pattern dance music, but you can't get it to do smooth filter sweeps or frequency sweeps (lo to hi). It seems to suffer from low MIDI resolution and lag. I was not impressed. So I bought a Synthesizers.com modular. I got it last week and haven't been out of my house yet. Ok, that's a lie, but it is great fun. The sounds are unachievable on anything else. If you want real analog and not digital/analog like the Alesis, this is the only way to go. I got a 2 osc with all the bells and whistles like ring mods and sample/hold with a 5 octave walnut enclosue kb for $2500. And it is just begging to be expanded.

19. Nate Tschetter

That thing is awesome looking. Looks like it should come with a free lab coat or something.

Heh, can you route an EG to the Van de Graf generator?

I take it the sound is as huge as the unit itself.

20. Originally posted by Bear's Gone Fission:

BTW, any hardcore samplers out there catch that Nike comercial with all the basketball court noises? I was pretty impressed with the job they did on utilizing the sounds. That's the power of straight samplers, to harness what isn't inherently musical and bring it into the fold. Damn, I want some toys to play with again. :)
    da Bear

i wonder where does the sound of this nike ad come from, it sounds a lot like "happiness in slavery" by nine inch nails, same rythm but different sounds...but i've seen (and heard) this ad only once ! i might be wrong.
    hervé