1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

True Preamp?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by RAIN0707, Oct 8, 2004.

1. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

Wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to test the True Precision 8 Preamp. I have heard good things about them. Kurt do you have any knowledge of them?

2. Krou

Krou Active Member

We have one at work and to be quite honest, there's not much to praise, IMO. Clean and neutral, but the one drawback we quiver about here is that there are no pad switches, which makes drum tracking less-than-ideal. I'd go with 2 of the 4-channel Sebatron units instead. Although, depending on what you need it for, the True P8 might be your ticket.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the True pres ... I guess they are supposed to be pretty neutral sounding .. as you know, not what I look for in a mic pre.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

The two channel True sounds pretty good until you hit in the "hi-gain" switch... when you do the upper mids become more pronounced and IMNTLBFHO, it sounds like total $*^t, or exactly like the 8 channel unit.

5. frob

frob Well-Known Member

what exactly does that mean?

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

IMNTLBFHO: "in my not too (LBF???) humble opinion"

not sure what the LBF is supposed to mean ... I'm afraid to ask what the "f" is for ... :mrgreen:

7. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Sorry... it's a regular abbreviation on R/E/P and Gearslutz... it stands for In My Not The Least Bit F***ing Humble Opinion.

It's a take off on the standard chatboard IMO (In My Opinion) or IMHO (In My Humble Oinion).

Ever notice that a joke is never funny when you have to explain it?

8. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

shouldn't it read imbtlfbho instead of imntlbfho? imfo it should...

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The True Systems P8 is not my favorite either...however the P2 Analog is....why theyre different, i got no clue but they are...quite a bit....I love the P2 on acoustic instruments ..perhaps there-by avoiding the Hi-Gain feature.....But then I like the neutral sounding pres on acoustic instruments as they sound like the instrument and not the electronic path to the recorder.....unless of course you really like the sound of a 1/2" thick plywood topped guitar and need a Neve or API pre to get anything resembling life out of it.....but then thats just my ISANSHFOTNWSFY.

10. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

:wink:
    you get that

Hi Fletcher,
    how are you ?