1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tube Guitar Amp Question

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by stickers, Oct 11, 2005.

1. stickers

stickers Active Member

How can you tell a tube or tubes are going bad?

I think my amp is creating more hiss/fuzz noise than it used too.

2. MilesAway

MilesAway Guest

That's usually a pretty good sign. Others include volume swells/fades at random times, dull/lifeless tones - regardless of how much you EQ your amp, pops/crackles/etc...

Devices exist to test tubes - i'm not sure how much they cost - but as a general rule, if it's been a while since the last swap (1 year + of moderate-to-heavy use) and you're experienceing one or more of the above symptoms, it's time for a change.

3. stickers

stickers Active Member

I removed the aluminum sleeves from the tubes even though they were all glowing.

I noticed one of the 12ax7 is black at the base of the tube..so im guessing thats the culprit. off to buy a new tube tomorrow...

4. gambit

gambit Active Member

My tech did a surprsing thing to test my preamp valves the other day when I thought I had a dud one. He knocked them with a screwdriver (while plugged in and on - be careful if you try this there are some very high voltages inside - if in doubt, take it to a tech). The good one made no noise through the speaker, the bad one made a ringing sound - real noticable.

I swapped it out and sure enough - she's working fine now. Not sure if this is true of power tubes (EL34 and the like)...

G

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Very simple test..tapping the tubes. I use a pencil, a screwdriver takes a bit more finesse. Chances are the bad one is a 12ax7-type of preamp tube. Power tubes can go microphonic, too, but they are the ones more likely to drop power and/or tone. Tube testers out there these days run the gammet from poor to fair....

6. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

What kind of amp?