1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

tube mic into tube pre :: anyone?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by JeffSanders, Apr 25, 2005.

1. JeffSanders

JeffSanders Active Member

How do you guys feel about using tube mics into tube preamps? Is this just "too much tube"?

I'm assuming all my favorite, character-drenched recordings from the 70's used this chain (and then some - tube eq's, tube compression, etc.).

This topic has come up here before. I remember seeing it, but the "search" engine here doesn't filter things too much, and returns many unrelated results.

Thanks. :cool:

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I don't see a problem with this. It has worked well in the past. there's no reason it wouldn't work now. As with all things audio, results are subjective, application dependent and ymmv ...

Best thing is to let your ears guide you ... if it sounds good do it ... and if it doesn't sound good, don't ever do that again.

3. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Guest

+1 kurt

Good Mic to Good Mic Pre is my rule of thumb. Unless the rule need s to be broken :D

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

More tubes the better! :cool:

5. JBsound

JBsound Guest

This is the key advice with most questions like this:

Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. I think the trick is being able to decide whether it works or doesn't work. :D

6. RIGHT ON!

However, there are times that too many tubes can be bad. Just let your ear be your guide. There's even times where its better to just be solid state. Its just whatever is right for that song.

7. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

As always, a time and place for everything.
    AND
    NO RULES.

Chris

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Rules are for Mules.....

:p HEE YAH....get along little doggie....HeeYAH...

9. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Who you callin' a dog, dog?

lol
    Chris

10. JeffSanders

JeffSanders Active Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've been eyeballing an ADK TC mic. And since I just got a Brick preamp, I was wondering if I should pass on this mic. (My AT 4047sv sounds kickass through the Brick)

But I think I'll go for it. Hell, there's always Ebay if I don't dig it. :cool:

11. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

do it all you can---a good tube pre can make a regular mic sound like a tube mic also :lol:

12. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

do it all you can---a good tube pre can make a regular mic sound like a tube mic also :lol: