1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tube Royer Ribbon Mic!!

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by SlideMan, Jan 18, 2002.

1. SlideMan

SlideMan Guest

Yup. I saw it at NAMM. Uses a super duper tube that is out of print (Royer buys 'em for about $70 each). Mega specs, and I have forgotten all of them. It looked pretty cool, I mean warm, and damn, I forgot the model number too.

It's amazing how much you can see in 6 hours if you really try. And I had to schmooze some artists/endorsees too.

Shinspints in LA,

Jeff Roberts

2. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    Was it being used as an amplifier in the mic? It sounds like unnecessary circuitry.

3. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Well, I believe it's been shown previously as a "concept mic", and is not slated for production. Dave likes tubes and ribbons, so why not? I guess that's better for AES, which is more "how cool!" than "how much?"

Bear

4. SlideMan

SlideMan Guest

Yup, it's a preamp kinda tube, same function as the solid state versions, gain and proper impedance matching. Don't know if it's for production but as for the exotic discontinued tube, Royer said they were scooping up as many as they can find. So it sounds like they might sell a few at some time.

Curious Jeff
    In LA

5. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    Sounds pretty cool...I bet the thing is huge in size. I don't know why it would be much more expensive though, except for the 'boutique' factor.