1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Tube/Valve compressor

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by chips, May 31, 2007.

1. chips

chips Guest

in my home studio, I am ready to take the leap from using compressor plug-ins to buying a decent 2 channel tube/valve hardware compressor.

I have around £500 ($1000) to spend and need something that would be a good allrounder (vox, bass, drums, guitars). Something that is also ok to run stereo mixes through would be an advantage.

I currently have a bunch of standard mic's (SM57's 58's, AKGD112) and one Neumann M149. I am running cubase SX.

Does anyone have any good tips on which compressors I should be looking at. Doesnt matter whether they would be new or from e-bay.

2. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    What kind of sound are you looking for ? what will you be compressing?
  3. chips

chips Guest

I am after something to add a little warmth to my digital recordings. Some punch to kicks and bass guitars. Something warm but still clear on vocals. Also something to run full mixes through
  4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    That's a tall order for a $1K compressor!!

You might want to look at the Drawmer line and some used dbx stuff. I've seen a 162SLs on ebay for around $1K.

Good luck.

5. chips

chips Guest

Ha ha. Yes I know. I am asking for the world there.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I will have a look at the Drawmer line.
    I am willing to stertch a little further for something special.
    Anyone else ?
  6. This one claims to have everything you're looking for:

"...tube preamp for adding warmth"
    "...deep distortion for real punch"
    "...signal retains its full impact resulting in clear, powerful tone"

7. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Joke..... right?
  8. chips

chips Guest

I hope so !
  9. Of course. Why would I sincerely recommend a product that only has 7 kinds of distortion?
  10. Ballz

Ballz Guest

Ha ha ha.

11. this might be to your likeing
  12. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Joe Meek SC2 or even the SC2.2 stereo compressor - the Ted Fletcher models.
  13. Digger

Digger Guest

I would wait until you had another $500 to a $1000 because that opens up some more possibilities for you. It's also a purchase you are more likely to keep for the long haul rather than getting something mediocre. I would rather spend 2 g's on something solid than 1 g on something I won't really appreciate for the long haul.

I would get over the need for a Tube/Valve compressor. Most of the noted pro models are way out of your price range. For around $1500 you can get the new Rupert Neve Designs stereo compressor. I haven't used it yet ( i will be taking one for testing soon) but I have heard many great things about it so far.

You may also want to consider getting a single channel now and buying a second of the same unit when you have more dough. Some great single channel options to considerl Purple MC77, Daking FET II. If you had a lunch box you could get an API 525 for about $1000. Those are some options I would be looking.

Good Luck in your search
  14. chips

chips Guest

Thank you all.
    I am thinking about buying something at the very low end of the market (something like a second hand TL audio 5021) for a small price. Something I can play around with and learn from whilst saving some money to get something very high end in 6 months or so.
    Thanks for the advice