TV Audio Levels - Is there a standard?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by brewman, Nov 24, 2004.

1. brewman

brewman Guest

I'm recording a voice over to be run on television. Is there a standard maximum digital audio level (-18, -6, 0) db that is used in video production? Or is this dependent on the video production company?
  2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Distinguished Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC New York
    Home Page:
    The standard is that the vocal rides at -12.
  3. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Guest

?... I thought it was +12 :lol:
    And distortion to bring out the inder circuit's of your mouth is a must!

Just joking.

Best Regards,
  4. splurge

splurge Guest

Excuse my ignorance here but, does that mean that any accompying audio would be at the same level ?. Is there a similar standard for radio ?.

5. fbars

fbars Guest

Hi all,

I'm a Chief Broadcasting Engineer here in Illinois. All our audio is calibrated for -20dbfs with peaks at -10dbfs [wishfull thinking, usually running somewhat higher]. We use this in Master Control and in our Remote Truck. Our audio boards are analog and all our video are Sony digital decks. Through some "miracle" [ I jokingly like to say] this all works and keeps everything clean without any digital overs!

In my recording studio, I'll set things -18dbfs to -12dbfs, depending on the material.

Has anyone come across any "set in stone" standard? I've just found "industry guidelines" which have worked well.

Tom Durso
    Chief Broadcasting Engineer
    First Bass Audio
  6. soundfreely

soundfreely Guest

I wish there were a "set standard." Although, it seems as though avg levels around -20 dBFS is the way to go.

I know for a fact that anything above -20 dBFS (average) going to Foxnews Channel will undergo "THE CLAMP."