Tweeter going out of business

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Cucco, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Hey guys (and gals) -

Just FYI, Tweeter is going out of business and has a GREAT sale on some of their stuff. I just picked up a demo pair of Focal Profile 918s for just over $1K. They also had a great deal on Martin Logan, high-end cables, power amps/combo amps and other hi-fi, TVs, etc.

Some of this is applicable to mastering-level gear, hence the post in this forum.

Go out and spend money - invigorate the economy!

Cheers-
    Jeremy

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Cucco, thanks for the heads up. I might have to take a road trip to one of the stores and pick up a TV.

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Is this the Tweeter that is also Sound Advice? I'm gonna have to go over there on my lunch break tomorrow.

4. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Not in the same league but Circuit City just filed for Bankruptcy and are closing 155 stores and laying off a lot of people. More info here http://www.crn.com/retail/212001512. Talking to the people at our local Circuit City they are going to be selling out to the bare walls just after the holidays. Not a good sign for the economy.There use to be some competition between them and Best Buys but I assume with out any CCs in this area that Best Buys will NOT be giving the best deals anymore. Bummer especially if you needed some computer hardware and it was an emergency purchase at least most times you could get a good deal at one of the stores.

5. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

CC has been in trouble for a long time.

6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

They have been - I (hate to admit it but) used to work for them back in 1998 and they were facing problems back then (had to dump their home appliance lines and took sales people off commission shortly after).

I think it's a paradigm shift from big, brick and mortar stores to Internet retailers. New Egg is rocking, so is Amazon.com. Let's face it, the folks that are shopping at Best Buy aren't comparing quality - they're comparing pretty pictures and a price tag - they can do that just fine on Amazon.com...

Anyway - another benefit of the Tweeter situation (admittedly selfish), they've got a pretty decent amount of acoustic treatments used throughout the stores. Those are for sale as well.

7. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

I hate to see CC go as well; not that I have any love for them, but it's always bad to see competition go away. Once in a while, I did indeed find something over at CC that I couldn't get elsewhere.

True story:

This past Saturday, at the end of their advertised 3-day sale, my wife and I decided to stop in to our local CC and see what was happening there.

At the door, at each aisle, and literally every turn, we were pestered incessantly by salespeople, desparate to "help you find anything you need?!?!?" It was cute at first, and we smiled and said, "no thanks, just looking", then it got insane (and I got truly angry at the endlessness of it - there were more people in red shirts trying to sell than there were customers.) Finally, we just started laughing at the absurdity of it all, and left. We never found what we were looking for (never even got close). The air of fear and desperation was palpable. Very sad. They were probably all on commission as well....

8. Thomas W. Bethel

Yesterday Best Buy announced it is having problems and its sales were down 7%. This is an interesting read http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1858079,00.html?imw=Y also http://stratecongroup.com/1108btweeterslast.aspx

9. Greener

Greener Guest

Here's a tip, don't fire your best salespeople. :p

10. Thomas W. Bethel

A couple of observations...

Circuit City was NOT my first choice when I was looking for gear. It always seemed like their "salespeople" were doing you a favor by waiting on you and they always seemed to be busy doing something else that had nothing to do with serving customers. Two examples. I am looking for a digital camera which I am going to be spending some big bucks on. I looked at the cameras for a while by myself and no one ever came up to ask if I needed help. I finally saw a salesmen talking to a very well endowed young women and I asked him when he was done if he could give me some help. 30 minutes later he was still talking to the young lady. I went over and asked if he could call someone else to help me. He said he was "busy" and would get someone in a few minutes. I finally walked out of the store since no one would assist me. I hope he got laid and fired. Another time about 15 store employees were standing in the middle of the store talking about football. I asked one of the salespeople if they could tell me where they had moved the disc drives to and he said he was in a "sales meeting" and could not be bothered. I walked over to the office and asked to speak to the manager. He came out and I asked where I could find someone to help me since all of his people seemed to be in a "sales meeting" he walked out into the store saw that all his staff was standing in the middle of the store laughing and poking each other and walked over and said "something" and the sales meeting broke up very quickly and they all scattered. He returned to me with a salesperson in tow and told me that this person would assist me and he was sorry for the problem. This particular store also refused to price match with other retailers and for a long time if they had a sale on line they would not match that price in the store and would tell you "If you like that price go buy it on line". Now they are running commercials that play up the idea that you will only EVER be quoted one price, somewhat of a turnabout from their former practices.

If you are going to be in the business of selling merchandise then do that and don't be doing other things while there are customers to be served.

The same problems existed at Best Buy for a while. Their sales staff was not very customer friendly and would only want to wait on you if you were buying some big ticket item. They also had a lot of equipment snobs working for them and if you asked for something that the salesperson did not personally like they would find it and hand it to you like it was a used kleenex and they didn't want to get their hands dirty or get germs from it. Then they cleaned house and had some really good people working their for about a year. They were knowledgeable and friendly and really were great to work with. They finally were replaced by what they have now which is one step up from the original staff and two steps down from the high point of salesmanship that they had for a while. They also have about 1/2 the sales people that they had before and getting someone to wait on you has become a problem.

I guess the BIG BOX merchandisers have had their run and it will be interesting to see what comes next.