1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Two compressors, under God, indivisible...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Mixerman, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Mixerman

Mixerman Active Member

Mick Jagger would like each of you to mix his album. But as he get's older, like all of us, he gets a little more eccentric (which would explain his stipualtions). He will only allow you to mix his album (and you'll get paid $7000 a mix, for 12 mixes, so don't say you won't do it) under the condition that you use only 2 compressors or limiters of your choice. One mono compressor, and one stereo compressor.

Which 2 compressors or limiters (or in some cases both) would you use?

One mono, one stereo. Which? Feel free to expound, or just supply us with your answer, whichever. Just don't use smiley faces. Mick hates them.

Mixerman

2. Which 2 compressors or limiters (or in some cases both) would you use?

For the mono, I'd use my Avalon 737SM, and for the stereo, I'd have to use my RNC in Super Nice.

3. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Fairchild 670 and Alesis nanocompressor.

4. Cloud 9

Cloud 9 Guest

For the mono I'd use a dbx 165 and for the stereo I'd go with a Manley "vari mu". I like the contrast both give eachother.

5. MMazurek

MMazurek Guest

Distressor & Pendulum Var-Mu.

6. miketholen

miketholen Member

one distressor
    two Helios 760

7. Dave McNair

Dave McNair Active Member

Alan Smart, and an 1176

8. sjoko

sjoko Guest

My mono one would be an AMEK 9098 channel (I promise that, for this purpose, I will only use the compressor - when you're looking)
    My stereo one; Inner Tube Audio's Atomic Squeezebox, which is not the fastest compressor on the planet, as it is a tubed one, but to my ears the most "audio-enhancing-without-introducing-crap" compressor available today, bar none.

9. sjoko

sjoko Guest

I forgot to mention, I'd like 2 points on the record in addition to the 7 bills per song, it will be worthwhile for them :)

10. jpreceng

jpreceng Guest

Originally posted by Mixerman:

Which 2 compressors or limiters (or in some cases both) would you use?

One mono, one stereo. Which? Feel free to expound, or just supply us with your answer, whichever. Just don't use smiley faces. Mick hates them.

Mixerman

Would I get to hear some roughs before deciding ?
    If not -- a Distressor and the Alan Smart CL2 for me. They would be the most versatile for me going into a situation cold...

11. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

An RNC and an RNC. Possibly a Distressor. I'm told it can make many tones. I haven't had the pleasure yet(I'm saving...I promise)

P.S. Mix, why do you hate the Smiles?

12. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

I'd sneak in an 1176, and a Manley vari mu, but would pull out an RNC if no-one was looking (or counting).

Jay
    PlugHead Productions

13. hargerst

hargerst Distinguished Member

Mick, schmick. It's 20 grand, 3 percent, and I bring whatever the ^#$% I want to bring to the session. That's why you're paying me the big bucks. Get the hell outta my way and lemme do my job!! Two compressors? BS.

Ok Mick, We need to ride these five faders manually, so I need some way to slide all these faders equally. I got an idea; we'll use your lips!! Here, just bite down on the faders. Geez, I can probably get 4 more faders in there.

Don't laff while you're biting down, Mick - you'll hurt yourself.

14. pan

pan Guest

Does Mick know about the SSL VCA? There would be only an 1176 left for him, hmm hmm

15. Mixerman

Mixerman Active Member

I would have an 1176 and a Cranesong STC-8. But the SSL stereo compressor would be a very close second.

McSnare gets a gold star in my opinion for his answer, but no one should be dissapointed, this is obviously subjective, and that Gold star ain't worth a $*^t, really.

Once again I get a Platinum star for my answer. Funny how that works...

Mixerman

16. StudioSteve

StudioSteve Guest

Smart C2 and a Purpke MC76... now that was simple!

17. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Originally posted by Mixerman:
    Once again I get a Platinum star for my answer. Funny how that works...

That's ok... I make my own platinum stars too! LOL

18. Punchmo

Punchmo Member

Originally posted by hargerst:
    Mick, schmick. It's 20 grand, 3 percent, and I bring whatever the ^#$% I want to bring to the session. That's why you're paying me the big bucks. Get the hell outta my way and lemme do my job!! Two compressors? BS.

Ok Mick, We need to ride these five faders manually, so I need some way to slide all these faders equally. I got an idea; we'll use your lips!! Here, just bite down on the faders. Geez, I can probably get 4 more faders in there.

Don't laff while you're biting down, Mick - you'll hurt yourself.

That was FUNNY Harvey, ROTFLMAO...Wouldn't you be concerned about the sloppers?

1176 and a Vari-Mu.

Steve

19. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

UA 1176 EL FATSO

Best Regards,
    Nathan Eldred
    http://www.atlasproaudio.com

20. Dave McNair

Dave McNair Active Member

I almost said 1176 and STC-8......REALLY!