types of mics for different instruments

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by leonin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. leonin

leonin Guest

Let me preface this by saying that some of this has been covered in other posts. However, as a beginner it would be useful to have a sticky post dedicated to miking the different kinds on instruments. I would like to know which mics sound best on a particular kind of instrument, and how they should be placed. I realize that this has to be done by ear in the recording environment, however it would be useful just to start off in the right direction.

It could be broken down by category. The following is a list to get started.
    Brass
    Choir
    Keyboard
    Percussion
    Plucked strings
    Strings
    Vocal solo
    Woodwind

I have not seen much information on recording change ringing, clavichord, or marimba. Any suggestions?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

For what it's worth, there was a thread on recording a marimba a while back: (Dead Link Removed)

Greg Malcangi (Evelyn Glennie's husband) has done a lot of work on collecting and recording just about anything hittable, including marimbas of various sizes. He used to frequent these forums, but I've not seen him here recently.

3. leonin

leonin Guest

Thanks for the reply. The marimba is indeed a beast to mic. Looks like I should look for some ribbons.